THB, Banditos, Wayward and more confirmed for Cosmic Cocktail!

Leonard Williman: In Sunday's editions of The...


Leonard Williman: In Sunday's editions of The Sun, an incorrect time was given for a memorial service for Leonard Williman, a retired department store buyer and musician who died Wednesday of bone cancer at his Linthicum home. Services for Mr. Williman, who was 87, will be held at 11 a.m. Saturdayat St. John Lutheran Church in Linthicum. The Sun regrets the error.

Donald 'Biscuit' Messick, 75, former Denton mayor

Donald "Biscuit" Messick, a retired power company manager and former Denton mayor, died Friday of complications from a stroke at his home in Delmar. He was 75.

A Cambridge native, Mr. Messick served in the Navy during World War II and saw action in seven major battles. He was a former Maryland commander of the American Legion.

Mr. Messick worked for Delmarva Power & Light Co. for 39 years, beginning as a lineman and retiring in 1985 as a district manager.

In addition to serving as mayor many years ago, he was a member of the Denton Volunteer Fire Company and the Caroline County Fireman's Association Hall of Fame. He was a former president of the Denton Rotary Club, the Princess Anne Jaycees and the Princess Anne Little League.

He was also a member of St. Luke's United Methodist Church in Denton, where services will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday.

He is survived by his wife, Mabel H. Messick; two daughters, Margaret M. Collison of Campbellsville, Ky., and Donna M. Fretterd of Denton; two brothers, Robert Messick of Federalsburg and Kenneth Messick of Hurlock; six sisters, Gladys Nepert of Preston, Nancy Reddler of Hummelstown, Pa., Janet Hurley of Hurlock, and Clara Mae Evans, Shirley Abbott and Ann Slacum, all of Cambridge; seven grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Leonard Williman, 87, store buyer and musician

Leonard Williman, a retired department store buyer and musician who played bass fiddle years ago with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, died of bone cancer Wednesday at his home in Linthicum. He was 87.

A Philadelphia native, Mr. Williman sailed to Europe at 17 with a dance band. He returned two years later to study music at New York University, and in 1932 came to Baltimore to attend the Peabody Institute.

Mr. Williman went to work a few years later for Stewart & Co., where he became a buyer for the domestics and men's departments in a career that lasted nearly 40 years. He retired in 1977.

He was a member of Local 40 of the musicians union, through which he played at nightclub and theater shows in the area. He played alto recorder with the Recorder Society of Baltimore.

A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church in Linthicum.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, the former Viola E. Simester; two sons, Dr. Robin E. Williman and Bryan H. Williman, both of Linthicum; a daughter, Kathleen L. Lageman of Timonium; and five grandchildren.

Alphonsus W. Paznekas, 78, restaurant manager

Alphonsus W. Paznekas, a former downtown restaurant manager and deputy court clerk, died of liver cancer Dec. 18 at his Baltimore home. He was 78.

A graduate of Polytechnic Institute, he served in the Pacific as a medical corpsman in the Army Air Forces at the end of World War II before earning a bachelor of arts degree from the Maryland Institute, College of Art in 1954.

Mr. Paznekas managed the old Hartley's Restaurant for 25 years, then was night manager of the Eager House before working in the clerk's office of Baltimore's old Superior Court. He retired in .. 1980.

He enjoyed painting, particularly watercolors, interior decorating

and cooking. His memberships included Parkville Post 183 of the American Legion.

He is survived by his wife of 44 years, the former Kathryn Phillips; a son, William A. Paznekas; and a sister, Annabelle Paznekas. All are of Baltimore.

Services were held Dec. 21.

Kathleen Freeney Herget, 91, homemaker

Kathleen Freeney Herget, who loved to play bridge and wrote thank-you notes to her last day, died Friday at her Baltimore residence at the age of 91.

Born in Delmar, she attended Goucher College for a year before graduating from Penn State College of Optometry and joining her father, Thomas Barton Freeney, in his optometry practice in the Eastern Shore town for five years.

She became a homemaker after her marriage to Charles Edward Herget. They had been married for 40 years when he died in 1977. A Methodist most of her life, Mrs. Herget converted to Catholicism when she was 82.

In addition to playing bridge, Mrs. Herget's greatest pastime was spending time with her three granddaughters, Melissa Ruth Niquette, Stacey Elizabeth Taylor and Kelly Herget Spilman. In addition, she had two great-granddaughters and two great-grandsons.

Her son and only other immediate survivor, Charles E. "Ted" Herget Jr. of Baltimore, remembered his mother as an old-fashioned lady who tried to follow prim social rules. She taught him to always write thank-you notes. On Christmas Day, before she passed away with her son at her side, Mrs. Herget was writing thank-you notes for gifts she had received.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, 5300 N. Charles St.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad