Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Towson women control Morgan, 62-47 Slumping Bears have more turnovers than baskets


Although Towson University played without its starting point guard, Morgan State proved to be the team in a panic offensively.

Converting only three field goals in the final 18 minutes, the Bears managed no cohesiveness, rushing shots and making poor passes in a 62-47 loss to the Tigers at the Gilman School yesterday.

Towson (5-4) was led by Mylissa Pilione, Jess Gordon and Jill McGowan, all with 11 points. Morgan State (1-6) finished with more turnovers (17) than field goals (15), shooting 26 percent.

"You can play all the defense in the world but if you don't score enough points to outscore your opponent, you will consistently lose," said Morgan State coach Darcel Estep, who lectured her team for 30 minutes in the locker room after the game. "And that's the problem we're having. You can see we play aggressive defense and I'd never question them on effort, but we're missing too many shots. And we get any shot we want.

"Bottom line, Towson didn't have anything to do with what we did."

Towson had dropped four straight, including a 58-point loss to Virginia eight days ago, and waswithout point guard Michele Lanigan, who might be sidelined for the next week with a stress fracture. But Morgan State never took advantage, forcing shots in its fourth consecutive loss.

However, a lapse by the Tigers late in the second half gave the Bears an opening. A technical foul on Towson coach Ellen Fitzkee led to a six-point turnaround for Morgan, which found itself within 47-42 with 4: 19 left.

On their next possession, Bears guard Lisa Mickens threw a lazy pass, which was intercepted by Shniece Perry, who converted it for a layup.

"We get four free throws in a row, we have our possession and what do we do with it? Bad decisions," Estep said. "That's been our problem: being consistent and making good decisions."

That allowed Towson to pull away, finishing the game on a 15-5 run. The Tigers hit eight of their final 10 free throws while the Bears made only one basket in the final four minutes.

"I think we did a sound job on the defensive end of the floor," Fitzkee said. "We handled their drive well to the basket and TTC didn't give them offensive rebounds. That was critical."

Pub Date: 12/20/98

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad