Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Richmond 'Dick' Hill, 84, councilman, police chiefRichmond...


Richmond 'Dick' Hill, 84, councilman, police chief

Richmond Wilford "Dick" Hill, who had been a a newspaper reporter, president of Talbot County Council, a police chief and an entrepreneur, died Friday of cancer at William Hill Manor in Easton. He was 84.

Mr. Hill, who was born and educated in Detroit, moved to Washington in 1931 and worked as a copy boy at the Washington Evening Star. He became a reporter for the Washington Daily News several years later.

In 1935, he left the newspaper and joined the B.F. Goodrich Tire Co. in Washington as a store manager and budget department manager. Two years later, he moved to Easton to manage Standard Auto Supply. He later purchased the store and renamed it Dick Hill's Standard Auto Supply.

He sold the store in 1966 and opened The Furniture Barn on U.S. 50 in Easton the next year. He retired in the early 1970s.

He served as a volunteer juvenile parole officer, a field liaison officer for state police and a volunteer deputy sheriff. From 1974 to 1982, he served as Easton police chief and a Talbot County councilman and was president of the County Council four times.

He had been a member of the Easton Volunteer Fire Department and a founder of Easton Little League Baseball.

He was a member of the Legislative Committee for the Maryland Association of Counties for eight years and the statewide Hazardous Waste Facilities Siting Board, serving from its inception in 1980 until 1992.

Services will be held at 2 p.m. today at First Baptist Church, Idlewild and Hanson streets in Easton.

He is survived by his wife, the former Rita Startt, whom he married in 1939; four daughters, Mary H. Carbone of Naples, Fla., A. Hope Fink of Newcomb, and Suzan L. Newnam and R. Renee Hill, both of Easton; two sons, Michael R. Hill of Hagerstown and Mark H. Hill of Tunis Mills; a brother, Robert W. Hill of Fountain Valley, Calif.; and 11 grandchildren.

Robert Ashmun, 58, city police officer

Robert Ashmun, a former Baltimore police officer, died Wednesday of congestive heart failure at Palms of Pasadena Hospital in Gulfport, Fla. He was 58.

Born in St. Petersburg, Fla., Mr. Ashmun moved with his family to Jim Thorpe, Pa., where he attended high school.

In 1961, he married his high school sweetheart, the former Delores Bretzik, and they moved to Baltimore. That year, Mr. Ashmun was hired as a police officer. He worked in community service and retired from the force in 1988. Last year, he and his wife moved from Edgewood to Gulfport.

Services were held Saturday.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Ashmun is survived by a daughter, Lisa Marie Ashmun of Gulfport; two sons, Robert John Ashmun of Baltimore and Richard Allan Ashmun of Belcamp; his stepmother, Mary Ashmun of South Pasadena, Fla.; a brother, Richard Ashmun of Pennsylvania; a sister, Louise Ward of New Bern, N.C.; and two grandchildren.

Pub Date: 12/14/98

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad