Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Garage fire kills man heater is likely cause


A man using a garage near Green Mount Cemetery for shelter died last night when a fire, apparently caused by a kerosene heater, set debris inside the structure ablaze, said a Fire Department official.

Lt. Thomas Nosek of Engine Co. 19 in the 1300 block of Guilford Ave. said his unit was returning from a call in the 2700 block of N. Calvert St. about 9: 40 p.m. when the crew noticed smoke and flames coming from a garage in the rear of the 400 block of E. Lafayette Ave.

Nosek said that after firefighters forced their way inside the locked garage and put out the flames, they found the severely burned body of a man in a chair. The body was taken to the state medical examiner for an autopsy and identification through fingerprints.

Pub Date: 12/11/98

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad