W. Baltimore abduction ends in slaying Police unsure whether captive or abductor died


A man was fatally shot yesterday afternoon in an incident that began with a morning abduction and ended several hours later when a green Chevrolet truck tore through a white picket fence and crashed into a house in West Baltimore.

Police said that inside the truck they found the body of a man slumped over in the driver's seat. Detectives said he apparently had been shot.

Police cordoned off the 3000 and 3100 blocks of Lawina Road in Windsor Hills for several hours as they searched for evidence and interviewed several witnesses.

"It started as a chase and ended as a homicide," said Billy Mason, 37, who lives in the neighborhood and said he heard five to six gunshots at about 2: 30 p.m. He said he ran from his house to the truck to try and shut off the ignition.

"I opened the passenger door but that was as far as I could get," said Mason, an emergency medical technician for a private ambulance company who turned back from the bloody scene.

Several hours after the crash, police were trying to reconstruct the chain of events.

Agent Ragina L. Cooper, a police spokeswoman, said the incident began about 10 a.m., when a man was apparently abducted from a house in the 4100 block of Fairfax Ave., about four blocks from where the truck crashed, and driven away in the truck.

Someone from the victim's family reported the apparent abduction to police. But the truck was not spotted until the shooting.

"We do not know if the man in the car is the abductor or the abductee," Cooper said.

A man who lives next to the two-story brick house the truck crashed into said he saw armed men in a small red car with tinted windows shooting at the truck about a block away.

The man, who refused to give his name, said the truck careened out of control down the street, knocked over a light pole, went through a white picket fence and crashed into the house.

He said he saw three or four men jump out of the red car and repeatedly shoot at the driver of the truck, shouting "Kill him!"

Police said they were investigating that account and several other versions they obtained from witnesses to the slaying and residents of the Fairfax Avenue dwelling. They would not elaborate.

Pub Date: 8/12/98

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad