2 Baltimore men convicted of terrorizing banker, wife Armed pair bound couple and set a fire in house


Two Baltimore men were convicted yesterday of terrorizing a NationsBank manager and his wife -- tying them up in their home in an attempt to get information about opening a bank vault.

Daniel L. Spence, 32, and Wayne E. Jackson, 41, both of the 300 block of Ilchester St., were convicted in U.S. District Court in Baltimore of attempted bank robbery, firearms violations and arson. The jury deliberated for less than three hours.

The attack happened about 8 p.m. Dec. 11, moments after Peter and Stacy Gianiodis returned to their Elkridge home. Peter Gianiodis is manager of a NationsBank branch in the city, prosecutors said.

Spence and Jackson broke into the house through a basement window and waited, one armed with a sawed-off shotgun and the other with a pistol, according to court papers. When the couple arrived home, the men forced them to the floor, tied their hands and ankles, and told them they intended to rob the bank.

One of the men asked about the alarm code and vault combination at the bank, but Peter Gianiodis convinced him that was impossible to open the vault without another employee, court papers said.

The two men took the couple's automated teller machine cards and their 1996 Chrysler Sebring convertible. Before leaving the house, they poured gasoline on a pile of clothes and a tire in the basement, apparently in an attempt to burn down the house while the couple remained bound upstairs, prosecutors said.

The couple managed to free themselves and escape to a neighbor's house before the fire spread; the fire was quickly extinguished by firefighters.

Spence and Jackson withdrew $400 from Peter Gianiodis' account using his ATM card, prosecutors said.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Thomas M. DiBiagio said Spence and Jackson had targeted the manager at the bank and followed him home.

Pub Date: 5/22/98

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad