Woman slain in dispute with former boyfriend 2 friends of victim hurt; suspect critically injured after shooting himself


A year ago, Jacqueline Washington crawled across a street and into a nightclub, just as eight bullets slammed into the front door. A few months later, she told police she was beaten with a belt and a boot.

The 23-year-old Walbrook High School graduate said she "feared for her life and she thought she was going to be killed," according to Baltimore police.

Yesterday, Washington was shot to death during what police said was an altercation with her estranged boyfriend. She died later at Sinai Hospital of a single bullet wound in the head. Two of her friends also were wounded in the attack at 2 a.m. in the parking lot of the Five Mile House in Northwest Baltimore.

After the three shootings, as officers raced from their station house across the street, Brian Curtis Moore shot himself in the tTC head, police said. Moore, 24, was in critical condition yesterday at Sinai Hospital.

Moore of the 1600 block of Moreland Ave. has been arrested and charged twice since May 1997 in the assault and attempted murder of Washington, court records show. One series of charges was dropped and another is pending.

Detectives said Moore is under 24-hour police guard.

Agent Ragina L. Cooper, a police spokeswoman, said investigators were not sure what the argument was about or if the suspect was inside the Five Mile House before the shootings occurred outside.

Police said that after the shootings, an unidentified woman pointed to a man and shouted, "There he is. He's got a gun. He shot my girlfriend."

Cooper said the suspect shot himself in the head "right in front of officers," who had been called to the parking lot for a disturbance. The spokeswoman said Washington and Moore have a 4-year-old daughter. She said they had been estranged for about four months.

"She was a nice girl," said one of Washington's friends, who did not want to be identified. "She was very sweet and real personable. She was real popular at parties, and she would have parties of her own. This is really sad."

A woman who identified herself as Washington's sister said the family did not want to comment.

Police identified Washington's wounded friends as Lamont Johnson, 26, and Lewis Potts, 24, both of Northwest Baltimore. Johnson was in good condition yesterday at Sinai. Potts was in surgery yesterday afternoon and his condition was not immediately available.

On May 18, 1997, Moore was charged with two counts of attempted first-degree murder in an incident outside Choice's, an after-hours nightclub in the 1800 block of N. Charles St.

Washington told police that she was beaten inside the club and dragged outside. She then crawled back to the club, getting inside just as the bullets hit the closed front door. At least one bullet hit a club bouncer in the hand. Moore was indicted, but charges were dropped in November.

In December 1997, Moore was charged with assault, possession of a deadly weapon and making an arson threat in an argument with Washington, in which she told police she was hit with a belt and a boot. A trial on those charges is pending.

Pub Date: 5/19/98

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad