Cigarette blamed in nursing home fireA discarded...

THE BALTIMORE SUN

Cigarette blamed in nursing home fire

A discarded cigarette was the cause of a two-alarm fire last month at a Westminster nursing center, the state fire marshals office said yesterday.

The cigarette ignited a chair cushion near a resident's bed April 18 at the Westminster Nursing and Convalescent Center in the 1200 block of Washington Road, authorities said.

No one was seriously injured, but 14 of about 102 residents were taken to Carroll County General Hospital for a precautionary examination, fire officials said.

Damage from the fire was confined to one resident's room, but other rooms sustained smoke and water damage, authorities said. Damage was estimated at $10,000.

Repairs to Route 140 in Westminster start today

The State Highway Administration will repair and resurface approximately one-fifth of a mile of roadway and shoulder on Route 140 at Route 31 starting today.

Single-lane closures will occur on westbound Route 140 from p.m. to 6 a.m., when eastbound Route 140 will be closed.

Motorists traveling eastbound on Route 140 will be detoured right onto Route 32 (West Main Street), then left onto Route 31 to eastbound Route 140.

Message signs, barrels, cones and arrow boards will guide travelers through the work area.

SHA awarded the contract to Wolfe and Son Inc. of Middletown. Weather permitting, the project is to be completed by late this month.

Fire

Westminster: Firefighters from New Windsor, Pleasant Valley and Union Bridge assisted Westminster at 1: 10 p.m. Monday, responding to an apartment fire in the 400 block of Avenel Circle. Units were out 24 minutes.

Reese: Firefighters responded at 8: 07 p.m. Monday to a pole fire in the 2100 block of Woodview Road. Units were out 19 minutes.

Pub Date: 5/13/98

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
61°