Marjorie S.B. Cadwalader: In an obituary in...


Marjorie S.B. Cadwalader: In an obituary in yesterday's editions of The Sun, the time of the memorial service for Marjorie S. B. Cadwalader was incorrectly reported. The service will be held at 3 p.m. Friday at St. Christopher-by-the-Sea Episcopal Church on Gibson Island. The Sun regrets the error.

Marjorie S. B. Cadwalader, 75, active on Gibson Island

Marjorie Stewart Bagley Cadwalader, a volunteer and an active member of the Gibson Island community, where she lived for 42 years, died May 4 from complications of a stroke at North Arundel Hospital. She was 75.

She was a member of the board of Providence Center Inc. and an active member of the Anne Arundel County Association for Retarded Citizens Inc. She had also been a board member of the Gibson Island Corp. and corresponding secretary of the Women's Guild of St. Christopher-By-The-Sea Episcopal Church.

The former Marjorie Stewart was born in Indiana, Pa., and graduated from high school there. In 1949, she earned a nursing degree from the University of Maryland School of Nursing and taught pharmacology there until 1952.

An earlier marriage ended in divorce.

A memorial service will be held at 4 p.m. Friday at St. Christopher-By-The-Sea Episcopal Church on Gibson Island.

She is survived by her husband of 32 years, Benjamin Read Cadwalader; two sons, Charles Bagley IV and John Orrick Bagley; a daughter, Mary M. Bagley; two brothers, Hugh K. Stewart and H. Claire Stewart; and three grandchildren. All are of Gibson Island.

James L. Nugent Sr., a Baltimore police officer who was director of the Southeast Police Boys Club for 22 years, died of pulmonary fibrosis Thursday at Mercy Medical Center. The longtime Towson resident was 77.

He joined the Baltimore Police Department in 1947 and took over as director of the boys club in 1950, holding that position until he retired from the force in 1972. He then worked for the Maryland Race Track Association and retired again in 1988.

"He was known as 'Officer Jim' and he coached kids from Highlandtown to Little Italy in basketball, football, baseball and soccer for years and years," said his son Patrick M. Nugent of Timonium.

The Locust Point native played football and basketball and ran track at Southern High School. In the early 1940s, he was one of the first recipients of an Unsung Hero Award presented annually McCormick & Co. Inc.

After graduating from Southern in 1940, he worked in Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Key Highway shipyard and enlisted in the Navy in 1942 during World War II. After service in the Pacific, he was discharged in 1945.

He was a communicant of Immaculate Heart of Mary Roman Catholic Church, where a Mass of Christian burial was offered yesterday.

He is survived by his wife of 49 years, the former Mary E. "Sue" O'Brien; three other sons, James L. Nugent Jr. of Parkville, Dennis J. Nugent of Rockville and Kevin O. Nugent of Stamford, Conn.; two daughters, Ann Flanigan of Bowie and Katherine Wrightson of Parkville; a brother, Robert Nugent of Parkville; and 15 grandchildren.

Claire-Louise Brunton, 63, biologist and horticulturist

Claire-Louise Brunton, whose love of flowers and plants defined her life, died Thursday of cancer at Stella Maris Hospice. The Owings Mills resident was 63.

A biologist and horticulturist by profession, Mrs. Brunton joined Garland's Garden Centers in the Baltimore area, where she oversaw the growing of plants, in 1989 and retired last year.

The former Claire-Louise Lee was born on the Owings Mills farm where she spent most of her life.

She graduated from Western High School in 1952 and, in 1956, earned a bachelor's degree in biology from Pembroke College, which is part of Brown University in Providence, R.I. In the early 1970s, she earned a bachelor's degree in horticulture from the University of Maryland at College Park.

She worked as a research assistant in the department of physiology at the Johns Hopkins University Medical School from 1952 to 1955, and taught math and science for two years at

Sudbrook Junior High School. From 1961 to 1964, she worked in the botany laboratory at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

In 1971, she returned to her childhood farm to raise her children.

Mrs. Brunton was especially fond of the Swiss Alps and its flora and English gardens. She also enjoyed hiking, photography and horseback riding.

L Her marriage to William J. Brunton ended in divorce in 1973.

She was a communicant of Holy Family Roman Catholic Church, 9533 Liberty Road, Randallstown, where a Memorial Mass will be offered at 8 p.m. May 18.

She is survived by three sons, Daniel Brunton, Thomas Brunton and Frederick Brunton, all of San Jose, Calif.; a daughter, Susanne Brunton of Owings Mills; a granddaughter; and special friend, John McCauley of Owings Mills.

Linwood Mustard Simpler, a retired regional service manager for Chrysler Corp., died Friday of heart failure at home in Catonsville. He was 82.

Mr. Simpler, whose duties included assisting Chrysler's Washington lobbyist, retired in 1979 after a 34-year career with the automaker. He then worked for Joe Harrison Chrysler-Plymouth in Catonsville, where he was in charge of customer service, and remained there after the dealership was taken over by Shelly Warsaw. He retired last year.

As a young man, the native of Milton, Del., built an automobile from parts salvaged from junkyards.

After graduating from Lewes (Del.) High School in 1934, he paid his way at Stanford University by working summers as a waiter aboard the Dollar Line Steamship Co.'s S.S. President Harrison, sailing around the world three times. He graduated in 1938 and attended the General Motors Institute before moving to Baltimore to work for Kelly Buick.

During World War II, he taught military vehicle maintenance at Glenn L. Martin Co. in Middle River. After the war, he joined Chrysler.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. today at Slack Funeral Home, 3871 Old Columbia Pike, Ellicott City.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, the former Adele Pratt; a son, Linwood Coard Simpler of Baltimore; a sister, Marie S. Keller of Milford; and three nieces.

Edward T. Katkish, 84, firefighter, postal worker

Edward T. Katkish, who had been a firefighter and U.S. Postal Service employee in Washington, died May 5 of heart failure at home in Laurel. He was 84.

The Pittsburgh native worked for the postal service for 17 years, retiring in 1984. Earlier, he was a firefighter in his hometown from 1953 until 1973.

The World War II Army veteran moved to Laurel in 1977.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered Friday.

He is survived by his wife of 50 years, the former Mary Curto; three daughters, Michele Girling of Laurel, Cynthia Katkish of Alexandria, Va., and Edwina Rector of Clearwater, Fla.; two brothers, George Katkish of Ohio and William Katkish of Greenbelt; and five grandchildren.

Pub Date: 5/12/98

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad