Hebron vents frustration, eliminates River Hill, 13-8 Vikings are determined after losing county title; Boys lacrosse


Mount Hebron is still feeling the sting from losing the Howard County championship to Centennial.

But the Vikings put that emotion to good use in the first round of the Class 1A-2A playoffs at River Hill yesterday.

Mount Hebron (9-5 overall, 8-1 league) defeated an up-and-coming River Hill Hawks squad, 13-8, with a more solid performance than they displayed in an earlier meeting between the teams that the Vikings won by one goal.

Tomorrow, the Vikings will play host to Glenelg in the region semifinals.

"Our intensity was way up today and we were more on our toes than the first time," said Vikings offensive leader Kyle Campbell, who scored two goals and had five assists. "And our midfield played much better today. This was a good way to start the playoffs."

Midfielder Ryan Douglas scored four goals and midfielder Matt Midura scored twice, making a hefty offensive contribution.

"Douglas and Midura played extremely well today," Mount Hebron coach Jeff Doolan said. "We shot a little better than the first time we played them, but still missed a lot of shots."

Mount Hebron missed its first six shots, as the Vikings tried to pounce on River Hill early. Campbell finally scored at the 7: 22 mark, and Brian Warner put Mount Hebron ahead 2-0 with a goal at 5: 02.

Scott Kenworthy scored the first of his three goals for River Hill at 2: 22, and the game was looking a lot like the first time the teams played, when the Vikings allowed the youthful Hawks to hang around and build their confidence.

Midura, on an assist by Campbell, scored a crucial goal with 29 seconds left in the first quarter, however.

The Vikings, who won 15 of 22 faceoffs, created breathing room when Neal Goldman and Douglas scored the first two goals of the second quarter for a 5-1 lead.

The Hawks (6-6, 6-3) kept the pressure on with back-to-back goals by Chris Kenworthy and Scott Kenworthy, cutting the lead to 5-3.

River Hill's rally didn't last, though. Mount Hebron scored three of the next four goals and led 8-4 at halftime, and then outscored River Hill, 3-0, in the third quarter to go ahead 11-4.

"Last time they surprised us," Douglas said. "This time we were much more prepared and not looking past them."

Hawks coach Jay Bond said: "We just played straightforward lacrosse with a sagging defense and came up short. They beat us in every category.

"We may have held our own on groundballs, but they had possession 75 percent of the time and it's tough to score without the ball."

No. 14 Centennial 20, Hammond 2: The Eagles (11-1) scored five goals in the first two minutes as they reached the 1A-2A South semifinals with a win over the visiting Bears. Senior Joe Inanarino netted five goals and assisted on another and senior Ben Ryan contributed two goals and five assists for Centennial.

Oakland Mills 14, Atholton 4: Jim Herberson scored five goals and Mike Mailer had four as the Scorpions were easy winners in the quarterfinal round of the 1A-2A South playoffs. Herberson's four first-half goals helped Oakland Mills to a 9-0 lead at halftime.

Glenelg 17, Howard 4: Seniors Tory Drake and Chris Gregory each scored four goals to lift the Gladiators (12-3) over the visiting Lions (0-13) in a 1A-2A South quarterfinal. Sophomore Zack McQuigg helped out with three goals and four assists.

Pub Date: 5/10/98

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad