Fumes from trash send man to hospital Anhydrous ammonia found in load that driver picked up in Elkridge


A Catonsville man was overwhelmed yesterday morning by noxious fumes from a pile of trash he had picked up in Elkridge.

Larry Achliovi of the 2400 block of Old Frederick Road was discharged yesterday afternoon from University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore after suffering respiratory problems, said Capt. Kenneth Byerly, a spokesman for the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services.

Achliovi, a dump-truck driver for Browning-Ferris Industries, told authorities that about 6: 45 a.m., he was operating his usual trash run of 10 stops in Elkridge.

But when he attempted to empty his load, Achliovi noticed a cloud above his truck, Byerly said. The driver climbed on the truck and smelled fumes rising from the trash.

Achliovi drove the truck to the Elkridge Fire Station, which requested hazardous-materials teams from the county's special operations unit and the Maryland Department of the Environment, Byerly said.

The teams found six cylinders -- similar to oxygen tanks worn by divers -- of anhydrous ammonia, a coolant for refrigerators and computers, Byerly said.

"It's not deadly, but it can cause skin irritation and respiratory problems," he said.

State investigators are retracing the driver's steps to find out who left the cylinders in the trash.

Pub Date: 5/07/98

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad