Thelma E. Blomeier, 88, homemaker, churchwoman
Thelma E. Blomeier, a homemaker who was active in church affairs, died Monday of heart failure at Mariner Health of Bel Air. She was 88.
A longtime Hamilton resident, she played piano for many years and directed the junior choir at the neighborhood's St. Matthew's United Church of Christ. She also volunteered for many years at the old Montebello Rehabilitation Hospital.
The former Thelma Mormann was born and raised in the Walbrook section of the city and graduated from Western High School in 1929. She also studied piano for 11 years at the Peabody Conservatory of Music.
She was married in 1929 to William J. Blomeier Sr., co-owner of Blomeier Bros. Fuel Co., who died in 1977.
Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Lorraine Park Cemetery and Mausoleum, 5608 Dogwood Road, Woodlawn.
Survivors include two sons, William J. Blomeier Jr. of Baltimore and Robert G. Blomeier of Lititz, Pa.; a daughter, Carole Ann Heck of Baltimore; 11 grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.
Genevieve Becker Gorman, 92, developed hemp gauge
Genevieve Becker Gorman, who devised a method of evaluating the strength of hemp that is used worldwide, died of a stroke April 28 at Charlestown Retirement Community. She was 92 and a former Homewood resident.
While working for the National Bureau of Standards in Washington in the 1940s, Mrs. Gorman developed a system, later known as the Becker Value, that measured the strength of hemp used in the manufacture of rope. Later patented, the standard was adopted by the U.S. government.
During the 1930s, Mrs. Gorman worked for Munsell Color Co. in Baltimore, where she became proficient in the measurement of color. After joining the staff of the Bureau of Standards, she created the specifications for the color red used in the American flag.
Born and raised in Baltimore, the former Genevieve Becker was a graduate of Mount St. Agnes High School. She was married to Robert Riemann of Denmark, who died in 1938. In 1952, she married Sheridan P. Gorman, who died in 1996.
She was a communicant of SS. Philip and James Roman Catholic Church and a member of the Baltimore Country Club.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. Saturday in Our Lady of the Angels Chapel at Charlestown, 711 Maiden Choice Lane, Catonsville.
She is survived by two sons, Robert Gorman of Atherton, Calif., and Paul Gorman of San Francisco; three daughters, Susan Fil of Portola Valley, Calif., Margaret Hazel of Nashville, Tenn., and Marie Newsom of Los Altos Hills, Calif.; 14 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.
Jack V. Reckner, 78, sold firefighting equipment
Jack V. Reckner, a longtime Maryland resident who worked for companies selling firefighting equipment, died Sunday of heart failure at the Genesis Eldercare Center in Severna Park. He was 78.
A native of Bayside, N.Y., Mr. Reckner moved to Severna Park as a child. He graduated from Annapolis High School in 1936 and the University of Maryland, College Park in 1941.
He served in the Coast Guard from 1942 to 1946, then worked for several companies that sold firefighting apparatus to fire departments. He retired about five years ago.
Mr. Reckner was a past president of the Maryland State Volunteer Firemen's Association, a life member of the Earleigh Heights Volunteer Fire Company, and past commander of Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla No. 13.
He was also a longtime member of St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church, 689 Ritchie Highway in Severna Park, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. tomorrow.
His wife of nearly half a century, the former Wilma Davis, died in 1993.
He is survived by three sons, Jack Reckner Jr. of Jefferson, Ky., Eric B. Reckner of Pasadena and Kevin Reckner of Manassas, Va.; two daughters, Jacqueline R. Sandvik of Pueblo West, Colo., and Meredith Lynn Harris of Jacksonville, Fla.; a brother, Richard G. Reckner of Jacksonville; nine grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.
Wilbur C. Kautsch, 67, Bethlehem Steel estimator
Wilbur C. Kautsch, a retired Bethlehem Steel Corp. estimator and avid golfer, died of cancer Sunday at his Rosedale residence. He was 67.
Mr. Kautsch began his career as a field engineer at Sparrows Point in 1949, and retired as an estimator in 1985.
The Northeast Baltimore native was a 1949 graduate of Polytechnic Institute and studied engineering at the Johns Hopkins University's old McCoy College.
He enlisted in the military and served with the 8th Army's 64th Engineering Topographic Battalion in Korea. He was discharged 1954 with the rank of corporal.
Mr. Kautsch was a familiar figure on the golf courses at Clifton Park, Mount Pleasant and Pine Shore in Ocean City. He realized his life's dream when he played the legendary course at St. Andrews in Scotland several years ago.
He was secretary of the Aid Association for Lutheran Branch No. 390 and was a member of the men's club at Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church, 4815 Hamilton Ave. in Baltimore, where services will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow.
He is survived by his wife of 38 years, the former June L. Councilman; a son, Tyson D. Kautsch of Bel Air; two daughters, Lorraine J. Kautsch of Hamilton and Geraldine L. Spivey of Perry Hall; a brother, George J. Kautsch of Baltimore; and four grandsons.
Dennis Robert Greenwood, 70, Evening Sun editor
Dennis Robert Greenwood, a retired Evening Sun editor and boating enthusiast, died Sunday from heart failure at Naples Community Hospital in Florida. The former Annapolis resident was 70.
A native of Menominee, Mich., Mr. Greenwood earned his bachelor's degree in journalism in 1953 from Washington and Lee University and began his newspaper career at the Times Dispatch in Richmond, Va.
He joined The Evening Sun as a copy reader in 1954, was named copy desk chief in 1965, and in 1972 was promoted to news editor. He became makeup editor, responsible for page layouts, in 1988 and retired in 1990.
Mr. Greenwood was an Army veteran of World War II and Korea, and was discharged with the rank of captain.
In his retirement, he and his wife of 19 years, the former Ginny Burgin, lived and traveled aboard their boat, Third Edition, before moving to Little River, S.C. The couple moved to Naples in 1995.
He was a communicant of St. Peter the Apostle Roman Catholic Church in Naples, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 9: 30 a.m. Saturday.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by a brother and two sisters.
Dorothy E. Lewis, who operated a Timonium tavern with her husband for 21 years, died April 28 of a stroke at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. She was 72.
Known as Sis and Don, the couple owned Fairgrounds Inn on York Road, a popular destination with the Timonium Race Track crowd. After retiring, they moved to Santee, S.C.
The former Dorothy Chappas was born and raised in Edgemere, was a graduate of Sparrows Point High School and attended Strayer Business College.
Her husband, Donald E. Lewis, whom she married in 1945, died " in 1993. For the past seven months, Mrs. Lewis had been living in Lutherville.
tTC A memorial Mass will be offered at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church, 101 Church Lane, Texas, Baltimore County.
She is survived by a son, Dr. Donald E. Lewis of Burlington, Conn.; two daughters, Deidre E. Lewis of Lutherville and Deborah E. Lewis of Columbia, S.C.; a brother, Dr. Charles T. Chappas of Duluth, Ga.; a sister, Vivian C. Wist of Ellicott City; and five grandchildren.
Pub Date: 5/07/98