Slow-starting Gilman whips past Cards, 13-8 Tactical change results in 7-1 rush to victory; Boys lacrosse


Gilman struggled with shooting yesterday and couldn't find its rhythm in the first half with a deliberate offense.

But the No. 2-ranked Greyhounds proved they're just as smart as they are talented by suggesting to coach John Tucker that they switch their attack philosophy. They were right.

Scrapping its dodge-oriented offense early in the second half, visiting Gilman finished the game on a 7-1 run by rotating the ball with quick passing to pull past No. 6 Calvert Hall, 13-8, on a rain-soaked field.

The previous three meetings between the schools had been decided by a goal.

"One thing we were doing -- and it was my fault -- was we were getting the ball and just attacking," Tucker said. "[Calvert Hall goalkeeper Tony Russo] was set on our shooter. I then figured it might be better to move the ball around and make him move. Our guys talked me into it, and they know a lot more than me."

Andrew Faraone had five goals and one assist, and Alex Lieske added three goals and two assists for the Greyhounds (14-1), who have a first-round bye and will play in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference semifinals on


The Cardinals ended their season (5-8).

"I thought we played well, and we walked off and ended our season successfully," Calvert Hall coach Bryan Kelly said. "We're somewhat inexperienced, and we run primarily one offensive midfield. So I thought at times we wore out."

Calvert Hall opened the second half with back-to-back goals in a 18-second span early in the third quarter to take a 7-6 lead.

That's when Gilman initiated more ball movement and, because it began scoring, also started gaining more possessions by winning faceoffs.

Blake Atkins Mike Tully combined to control six of the last nine draws, and the Greyhounds came back with authority despite Russo, who saved 15 shots, including several one-on-one stops.

Faraone took a feed from Andrew Lucas to tie the game at 7 with 6: 08 left in the third. Just 1 1/2 minutes later, Jesse Kohler passed across the goal mouth to the wide-open Lieske, whose point-blank shot put Gilman ahead 8-7.

"Coach Tucker challenged the seniors to step up," said Lieske, a senior captain who had three goals and one assist in the game-ending run. "And you just have to keep shooting. Hopefully and eventually, they'll start to fall."

The Cardinals closed to 10-8 on a 15-yard shot by Bryan Mulford 3: 12 into the fourth quarter. But Gilman sealed the game when David Skeen and Faraone scored in a 24-second stretch to give the Greyhounds a 12-8 advantage with 4: 49 left in the game.

No. 3 Loyola 13, No. 9 Mount St. Joseph 5: Senior Patrick Jackson led all scorers with four goals and three assists to lift the Dons (12-4) to a win over the visiting Gaels (7-9) in the MIAA A Conference regular season finale.

Loyola, which led 6-3 at the half, went on a 6-0 run in the third quarter to build a 12-3 lead. Senior Devin Spilker paced the Gaels with two goals and an assists.

Pub Date: 5/02/98

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad