Patricia Ann Chairs, 64, Ellicott City homemaker
Patricia Ann Chairs, an Ellicott City homemaker, died May 31 of cancer at Mercy Medical Center. She was 64.
Although her cancer was diagnosed 1986, Mrs. Chairs was determined to lead a normal life and continued to raise and enjoy spending time with her seven children and 11 grandchildren.
"Her children and grandchildren made up her life," said her husband of 45 years, Samuel W. Chairs Jr.
She was born Patricia Ann Foster in West Baltimore and graduated from Seton High School in 1951.
She enjoyed gardening and was a communicant of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Ilchester, Howard County, where a Mass of Christian burial was offered June 3.
In addition to her husband and grandchildren, survivors include four sons, Samuel W. Chairs III and Todd A. Chairs, both of Ellicott City, Timothy J. Chairs of Sykesville and Thomas M. Chairs of Camp Hill, Pa.; and three daughters, Pamela Norbeck of Catonsville, and Ann P. Kroll and Teresa L. O'Neill, both of Ellicott City.
Dr. Daniel Hope Jr., 80, St. Agnes administrator
Dr. Daniel Hope Jr., retired chairman of the anesthesia department at St. Agnes Hospital and a former World War II combat surgeon, died June 20 of cancer at his home in Catonsville. He was 80.
Before his retirement in 1984, Dr. Hope had been senior attending chief of service and anesthesia from 1953 to 1977 at the hospital, and then chairman of the anesthesia department.
Dr. Hope was born in St. Denis in Baltimore County and graduated from high school in Ellicott City. He was a 1936 graduate of the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy in 1936 and earned his medical degree from the University of Maryland School of Medicine in 1940.
He began his surgical residency at St. Agnes Hospital, which was interrupted by his enlisting in the Army in 1942.
A battalion surgeon, Dr. Hope served with the 5th Armored Division of Gen. George S. Patton's 3rd Army and participated in the Normandy invasion campaign to the Battle of the Bulge.
His decorations include the Bronze Star, World War II Victory Medal, American Service Medal and the European, African, Middle Eastern Service Medal.
After completing his surgical training at St. Agnes Hospital in 1948, he practiced in West Union, Iowa, and completed his residency in anesthesia at the Lahey Clinic in Boston in 1953.
He was married in 1941 to Dorothy Danforth, who died in 1995.
Services were held June 23.
He is survived by two sons, Daniel Hope III of Athens, Ga., and David Hope of Catonsville; three daughters, Diane H. Belvin of Severna Park, Denise A. Hope of Walkersville and Dale H. Said of Pointe Claire, Quebec; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
John Wehrle, who was the first bartender at Baltimore's well-known No Fish Today tavern, died June 26 of complications of diabetes at the University of Maryland Medical Center. He was 66.
dTC Mr. Wehrle, who was called Jack by the legion of customers who filled the smoky barroom, was described by friends as a "quiet, unassuming man who was somewhat of a loner."
He went to work for the avant-garde North Eutaw Street bar that was, until it closed in the the early 1980s, a watering hole for Baltimore's underground, artists, musicians, social workers and liberals.
Blues bands such as the James Cotton Band, Junior Walker and the All Stars, Koko Taylor and the Fabulous Thunderbirds were ** featured.
Chris Kozak, owner of the Mount Royal Tavern, described Mr. Wehrle as the "quintessential bartender who was able to spot an empty glass 20 feet away, go fill it up and resume conversation with other patrons without missing a beat."
Former Fells Point bar owner "Turkey" Joe Trabert said, "He could smell trouble brewing among bar patrons and intercede in time."
Mr. Wehrle became a familiar character in the night life of Baltimore when he went to work during the 1950s at the Origin, a Charles Street coffeehouse, and later worked at Leon's and Martick's. Before going to No Fish Today, he tended bar at the Stereo Den.
After leaving No Fish Today in 1973, he worked at Blaydes Lock Co. and later Gunther Hardware.
At the time of his death, he was working part time at Eddie's Supermarket on North Charles Street, where customers called him "Mr. Jack."
Mr. Wehrle was born and raised in Forest Park, where he attended high school. He was a member of the Brahmins Archery Club and enjoyed collecting 78-rpm big band, jazz and blues recordings.
A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. today at the Charlton Funeral Home, 2007 Eastern Ave., Baltimore.
He had no survivors.
Mercia Chin Lee, 87, owner of the China Clipper
Mercia Chin Lee, the former owner of the China Clipper Restaurant on North Charles Street, died Saturday of a heart attack at her Guilford home. She was 87.
One of the first generation Chinese-Americans born in Baltimore, the former Mercia Chin was the daughter of restaurateur Chin Quon and Betty Lou Chin, who immigrated to Baltimore from Canton, China. She was raised on Paca Street.
She assisted her father as an interpreter and worked with the Chinese community locally as well as in Washington and Virginia.
After graduating from Western High School in 1929, Mrs. Lee worked with her father in his import-export business. Her parents later opened the Golden Pheasant Restaurant on Liberty Street, in the late 1920s. She continued working with her parents after they established the Palais d'Or and Sunny Nook restaurants.
In 1938, the family opened the popular China Clipper Restaurant, whose distinctive neon sign above the door featured a Pan American Airways Flying Clipper seaplane. The airline had inaugurated service to the Orient in the 1930s using such planes.
The sign later turned the North Charles Street restaurant into a North Charles Street landmark. After it was closed in 1987 and Mrs. Lee retired, the distinctive sign was donated to the Smithsonian Institution.
She was married in 1934 to David Lee, a Chinese language interpreter for the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service. He died in the 1960s.
In the early 1950s, Mrs. Lee, with her brothers, Wroth Chin and Calvin Chin, initiated the concept of Chinese food carry-outs and established carry-out restaurants on Dolfield Avenue and at the Woodmoor, Frankford and Seminary shopping centers. The businesses later were sold.
She had been a member of Grace and St. Peter's Episcopal Church and at the time of her death was a member of the Episcopal Cathedral Church of the Incarnation, where services were held yesterday
Mrs. Lee is survived by a son, Rockwood E. Lee of Eldersburg; a daughter, Barbara J. Lee of Guilford; a brother, Calvin Chin of Guilford; two sisters, Lillian C. Watt of Towson and Ellen G. Bock of Cockeysville; and four grandchildren.
Pub Date: 7/03/97