Towson boys take 8th title DeFelice scores three goals; Generals' defense stifles Glenelg's man-up chances

Towson defender Lance Yeagle led his lacrosse team into UMBC's stadium as if he owned it. And after a 6-4 win over Glenelg for the Class 1A-2A state title, he left knowing it.

Yeagle, sophomore keeper Jesse Markowitz, who made 15 saves, and defenders Steve Toth and Stuart Wyeth thwarted four of Glenelg's five extra-man chances.


And Nick DeFelice, with three goals and an assist, became the fourth Towson player to score three goals in a championship game as the Generals (12-5) earned their sixth straight win -- and ended Glenelg's nine-game winning streak.

Towson, in its first title-game appearance since 1994, won its state-best eighth championship in 20 years under coach Randy Dase. It was the Generals' fifth since 1990 when the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association went to an official state tournament from the former state-regional format.


For Glenelg (16-4), winner of its first regional title under coach Rick Kincaid, Mike Neale also tied the record of three goals.

"We wanted to win so badly that we were stiff in the first quarter," said Kincaid, whose team drew to 3-2 midway through the second quarter. "Once we got patient moving the ball, you saw us play our game. [But] we're not looking over our shoulders saying should have, could have, would have. I've never had so much fun."

For the Generals, losers of five games for the first time in the school's history, the bold swagger was back.

"It's not arrogance so much as confidence and pride in our tradition of being here," said Hofstra-bound Yeagle, a 6-foot-1, 180-pounder. "After two years of failure, there were some doubts. But we really stepped it up."

Towson came from behind to win its last two games over last year's champ, Hereford, in the region title game, and Southern-Arundel in the semifinals.

Yesterday, however, DeFelice's three unassisted goals -- at 4: 29, 3: 36 and 0: 32 of the first period -- staked his club to a 3-0 first-period lead. DeFelice, whose scores came amid Towson's first six shots, later assisted Sean O'Connor's leaping tally along the crease for a 4-2 lead with one second left in the half.

"I had four goals against Patapsco, but this is the greatest," said DeFelice, who will play next at Mount St. Mary's College.

In the third period, Glenelg botched three extra-man opportunities, including a 40-second two-man advantage during which Towson's Bryan Lambert ran 55 yards to make it 6-2 with 1: 50 left in the period.


Lambert, assisted by Phil Bell, had made it 5-2 at 7: 58 of the third period. Moments later, Markowitz stopped consecutive point-blank attempts by Adam McQuigg, Neale (twice) and Pett -- the last two while two men down.

The Gladiators out-shot the Generals, 7-1, to start the final period -- hitting the pipe twice. Neale made it 6-4, scoring with 2: 03 and 1: 09 left to play on assists from Conor Pett (two assists) and Chad Marshall (one goal).

Towson called time out with 35 seconds left after Yeagle checked the ball away from Pett. Then Markowitz stopped Pett's 15-yard bullet with six seconds left.

"This is the sweetest title out of all eight of them, because we started in the cellar," said Dase, whose teams in two decades of coaching are 242-26. "They showed heart against Hereford and even more heart against Southern. Now we're back on top."

Pub Date: 5/22/97