Call it simple payback.

Shoving Towson State all over the field and scoring at will, No. 7 Loyola avenged two losses last year by toppling the Tigers, 20-9, yesterday at Curley Field.

It was the first time the Greyhounds had scored 20 goals against Towson in a series that dates back to 1959. It's also the largest margin of victory by either team in this rivalry in 21 years.

"We had one year of two losses to come out onto the field with and focus on," Loyola coach Dave Cottle said. "They pushed us all over the field last year and we used that for motivation."

The loss that received the most focus was last year's NCAA tournament defeat. During the week, the Loyola players watched in disgust the film that showed Towson State outhustling the Greyhounds and dominating play physically.

Those memories carried over to yesterday's game.

"I definitely felt it was a big part," Greyhounds attackman Gewas Schindler said. "I had some bad feelings walking off the field that game and I was not going to let that happen again. We had to step up big."

Schindler did exactly that by scoring four goals and adding a career-high three assists. His fellow attackman, Tim O'Shea, set career bests with four goals and five assists.

Loyola (8-2), which has won four straight, appeared to be on a mission with a stunning offensive display of nine first-quarter goals.

The Greyhounds scored the game's first four goals, including three over a 1: 17 span. After Towson State netted its first goal, Loyola answered by scoring on its next four shots to pull out to an 8-1 lead with 2: 50 left in the first quarter.

The Tigers (4-5), who have lost two out of three to fall out of the NCAA tournament picture, tried to solve the onslaught by switching their defense numerous times from zone to man-to-man and back to zone. Towson even changed goalkeepers three times in the first quarter.

The Tigers didn't help their defense by failing to clear the ball consistently and losing the first 13 faceoffs.

That allowed Loyola to pour on the scoring with an assortment of dodges and passes that exposed the Tigers' slow sliding defense. The Greyhounds scored five times while shutting out the Tigers in the second quarter to stake themselves to a 14-1 lead.

By halftime, the Greyhounds had more goals (14) than Towson had shots (10).

"They kept us on the defensive end too long and refused to really let up," Towson coach Carl Runk said. "We don't have the depth to stay out there that long."

In the second half, Towson scored six consecutive goals to cut the lead to 16-7 with 3: 22 left in the third quarter. But Loyola was never threatened and went on a 4-1 run to retake command.

"We were playing as well as we could play and then we just shut down," Cottle said. "We always have about a seven-minute period where we spin our wheels."

The Greyhounds, who play at No. 5 Georgetown on Saturday, overwhelmed Towson all over the field.

Loyola had the advantage in shots (51-28), ground balls (44-25) and faceoffs (22 of 32). The Greyhounds also scored on five of eight extra-man opportunities and shut down the Tigers on five man-down situations.

"We're starting to come together," O'Shea said. "And it's certainly a good time to come together."

Pub Date: 4/24/97

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad