The Lutheran Home and Hospital Foundation wants to sell the East Campus of the old Lutheran Hospital, nearly a decade after its last use as a hospital. The foundation is seeking proposals to redevelop the site.
The 5.9-acre site on Ashburton Street in the Rosemont neighborhood of West Baltimore contains three connected buildings, described by the foundation as being in "good condition."
Lutheran Hospital opened in 1923. In 1986, it merged with Provident Hospital to become Liberty Medical Center. By 1989, all hospital activities had been moved out of the old Lutheran campus to the former Provident campus on Liberty Heights Avenue.
The buildings had been leased for social services and health agencies, but are now largely vacant.
In 1995, a developer announced a $7 million plan to convert the buildings to 153 one- and two-bedroom apartments, while providing 26,000 square feet of office and retail space, but the plan never came off. However, the city approved a Planned Unit Development ordinance for the site then, and that plan still governs site use.
Proposals must be received by May 12.
Pub Date: 4/18/97