THB, Banditos, Wayward and more confirmed for Cosmic Cocktail!

No. 4 Calvert Hall slaps together 10-9 victory over No. 2 Gilman Dickson's 20 saves help Cardinals win respect


Calvert Hall got to smack the plaque and gain some respect in the process.

After Gilman threw the ball away on a fast break and time expired, the visiting No. 4 Cardinals celebrated their 10-9 victory over the No. 2 Greyhounds yesterday by charging as a mob to the wall at the far end of the field. One by one, they lept to slap the Schroeder Field plaque.

It's the third straight year that a Gilman-Calvert Hall game has been decided by a goal.

The flamboyant Calvert Hall celebration was reminiscent to the one at Gilman in 1995, when the Cardinals upset the Greyhounds in overtime.

"We wanted to keep the tradition going," Calvert Hall senior attackman Tom Tamberrino said. "Then you have everyone giving Gilman respect this year. We wanted to earn a little respect. Today, I think we earned it."

The Cardinals (5-2), who never trailed, received career days from a number of players.

Goalkeeper Beret Dickson made 20 saves and kept the pressure on Gilman by either running the ball out of his defensive end himself or making long clearing passes to his attack.

And there was the Calvert Hall midfield, which lost one of its top players for the season in Mike Lamonica last week. But the midfielders stepped up as John Ritcey won 18 of 23 faceoffs and Adam Borcz scored three goals.

"This game is huge," said second-year Calvert Hall coach Bryan Kelly. "The kids really rallied together today. This is certainly the biggest win since I've been here."

Gilman (6-1), which never found an offensive flow, went scoreless for the first 13 minutes and fell behind 2-0. Each time the Greyhounds got to within one goal in the first half, Borcz countered with a dodge, scoring twice to give Calvert Hall a 4-2 halftime lead.

The Greyhounds were outshot 19-14 in the first half, but put 11 shots on goal. However, Dickson recorded nine saves, including back-to-back stops on point-blank shots with the Cardinals playing a man down.

"I expect to save every shot," said Dickson, who has averaged 18.3 saves over his past three games.

Calvert Hall started finding open spots on the crease in the third quarter and started to pull away. Tamberrino beat his defender from the left wing and powered in a high shot to cap a 4-1 run and increase the Cardinals' lead to 9-4 with 1: 55 left in the third.

Calvert Hall's only goal of the fourth quarter came with 8: 18 remaining, when defenseman David Rongione cleared the ball past midfield and scored untouched through the middle of the Greyhounds' defense for a 10-7 advantage.

Gilman freshman Ryan Boyle closed that lead to 10-9, feeding Matt Garrity in front of the goal with 1: 22 left. The Cardinals won the faceoff and kept the ball on their offensive end before turning it over with 30 seconds left.

After each team turned the ball over at midfield, the Greyhounds controlled the ball with 10 seconds left. Racing down the field, Jesse Kohler found a wide open Lieske on the left wing, but the pass sailed out of bounds and the game was over.

"We just didn't look in sync all day," Gilman coach John Tucker said.

Pub Date: 4/12/97

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad