THB, Banditos, Wayward and more confirmed for Cosmic Cocktail!

Telephoned bomb threat closes Arundel High School early Call made day after arrest of student in earlier case


One day after police charged a 16-year-old student with igniting an explosive device in Arundel Senior High School during a recent gubernatorial visit, a bomb threat threw the school into confusion and finally shut it down yesterday.

Anne Arundel County police said they found no bomb at the Gambrills school and they are unsure if the call was connected to the arrest they made in the case of an explosive device found smoldering in a hall locker March 27.

"There is a bomb in the school that will go off today," an anonymous male caller told the school's switchboard operator, police reported. The call came shortly after 10 a.m., during third period, not long after a fire drill.

The alarm sent 2,000 students -- a few wearing jackets and some in gym clothes -- into the unseasonably nippy spring air, where they played tag and huddled to keep warm.

"It was really fun," said one student.

After 45 minutes, complications developed that resulted in the closing of the school.

"We got word that we weren't able to get the [bomb-sniffing] dogs out there," said school spokeswoman Jane W. Doyle.

Because buses used for Arundel Senior High students transport kindergartners at midday, a decision to keep the school open would have meant stranding shivering students outside, Doyle said.

Officials began sending students home about 11: 30 a.m, without coats, keys or other possessions that were in the school. Some students took cars full of friends to their homes; others took the wrong buses; and some drivers pressed into service didn't know the routes to get their charges home and did some creative wandering, students said.

The bomb-sniffing dogs didn't show up until 11: 45 a.m., police spokesman Vaughn Dykes said. The dogs and their officers usually work a night shift and had to be called in.

Police declared the building safe at 12: 43 p.m. The school day normally ends at 1: 55 p.m.

Some students suspected the call was revenge for a classmate's arrest Wednesday.

Battalion Chief J. Gary Sheckells said fire investigators charged the teen-ager with malicious burning, reckless endangerment, manufacturing an explosive and attempting to explode another person's property in connection with a Molotov cocktail device found two weeks earlier during a visit to the school by Gov. Parris N. Glendening.

Juvenile authorities are handling the case. The boy was released to his father.

"During the interview, the youth admitted to manufacturing an explosive device and setting a fire in a locker," Sheckells said. "Asked why he did it, he said more than anything to get out of school that day."

Pub Date: 4/11/97

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad