Freda R. Glaser, 64, university instructorFreda R....


Freda R. Glaser, 64, university instructor

Freda R. Glaser, a retired biology instructor at the University of Maryland Baltimore County, died Monday of breast cancer at her Mount Washington residence. She was 64.

She also was an instructor in anatomy and physiology at the Catonsville institution, where she joined the faculty in 1984 and retired in 1994.

She worked at the clinical allergy laboratory at Good Samaritan Hospital from 1977 to 1983, and earlier was a research technician in pulmonary physiology at Johns Hopkins Hospital and was associated with Hopkins' gerontology research center.

The former Freda Reisberg was born in Forest Park and was a 1950 graduate of Western High School. She earned a bachelor's degree in 1954 from the old Mount St. Agnes College. In 1959, she married Edmund M. Glaser, a professor of physiology at the University of Maryland medical school.

Mrs. Glaser, who enjoyed bird-watching, was a founding member in 1986 of the Bolton Street Synagogue and served as secretary there. She had been president of the Baltimore City League of Women Voters.

Services were held yesterday.

In addition to her husband, survivors include two sons, Jacob "Jack" Glaser of Colchester, Vt., and David Glaser of Baltimore; a daughter, Miriam "Mimi" Glaser of New York City; two sisters, Marion Gimbel of Baltimore and Charlotte Rutkoviyz of Randallstown; and a grandchild.

Lester S. Smyth Sr., 87, president of jewelry firm

Lester Shields Smyth Sr., who was president of Albert S. Smyth Co. Inc., jewelers, for 40 years, died of heart failure Friday at Blakehurst Retirement Community. He was 87.

He lived for many years in Dulaney Valley before moving to the retirement community in 1993.

He went to work in 1944 as a salesman for the company that was founded by his father, Albert Sidney Smyth, in 1914. Originally located downtown on Hopkins Place, the business moved to Timonium in 1971.

Lester Smyth, who was a registered gemologist and member of the Boston Jewelers' Club, retired in 1984.

He was born on North Avenue, was a 1927 graduate of Polytechnic Institute and studied at the Johns Hopkins University.

He joined the Maryland National Guard and, in 1941, was called to active duty with the 110th Field Artillery. He was discharged with the rank of lieutenant in 1944.

He was a member of the Kiwanis Club of Baltimore and enjoyed doing needlepoint and raising roses.

Services were held yesterday.

He is survived by his wife of 56 years, the former Frances Johnson; a son, Lester "Chip" Smyth Jr. of Ellicott City; three granddaughters; and two great-granddaughters.

Melvin G. Phelps, 71, railroad carman

Melvin G. Phelps, a retired railroader who was interested in the history of the Old West, died of heart failure March 21 at his Arbutus home. He was 71.

He retired in 1987 after 32 years as a carman with Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. He was assigned to the railroad's Riverside roundhouse and yards, where he inspected railway equipment.

Mr. Phelps collected Western films, especially those starring Gene Autry, fancied bolero ties and silver cowboy belts and owned an old-fashioned Colt .45 revolver.

After he retired, he visited and explored historic western sites.

"He went to Death Valley, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley and all over Texas, Nevada and Utah," said a daughter, Helen Haviland of Glyndon.

Mr. Phelps was born in South Baltimore and left school in the eighth grade to help support his family. During World War II, he served in the Navy as a gunner's mate. He was married for 33 years to the former Anne Marie Priller, who died in 1981.

Services were held March 25.

He is survived by another daughter, Joyce Braman of Catonsville; a sister, Eleanor Walter of Pasadena; two stepbrothers, Jack Willard of Baltimore and Joe Willard of Eldersburg; a stepsister, Delores Willard of Baltimore; two grandchildren; and his fiancee, Doris Ostovitz.

Edward 'Sam' Quince, 77, city public works employee

Edward "Sam" Quince, a retired city sanitation worker, died of kidney failure March 26 at St. Agnes Hospital. The West Baltimore resident was 77.

He joined the Department of Public Works in 1948 and retired in 1982. His two marriages ended in divorce.

Services were held April 1. He is survived by a son, Edward Quince Jr. of Baltimore; four daughters, Kathy Quince and Carol Quince, both of Baltimore, and Evelyn Quince and Brenda Quince, both of Brooklyn, N.Y.; a sister, Helen Harvey of Baltimore; 18 grandchildren; 29 great-grandchildren; and four great-great-grandchildren. Martin Melvin Burke, a pilot for more than 50 years, died of a heart attack March 31 at St. Agnes Hospital. The Catonsville resident was 74.

He became a pilot in 1946 and graduated from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Miami as an airplane mechanic in 1948. In the 1960s, he operated Friendship Flying Service at Friendship Airport, now Baltimore-Washington International Airport. In the 1970s, he had a repair shop at BWI.

The Baltimore native graduated from Southern High School in 1942. In 1943, he joined the Army and was medically discharged after less than a year.

He recently received the Wright Brothers 50-Year Master Pilot Award from the Federal Aviation Administration.

He belonged to the Patapsco Chapter of the Knights of Columbus, the Cadiz Caravan 140 of the Order of the Alhambra and St. Agnes Roman Catholic Church in Catonsville, where a Mass of Christian burial was offered April 4.

Survivors include his wife, the former Margaret Bechard, whom he married in 1948; three sons, William Burke of Manchester, Timothy Burke of Dublin, Ohio, and David Burke of Upperco; a daughter, Diane Miller of Woodlawn; 16 grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Alonza E. Williams Sr., 71, McCormick lab employee

Alonza Elmer Williams Sr., a retired McCormick & Co. laboratory assistant, died of a heart attack Friday at Northwest Medical Center. He was 71.

He joined McCormick, a spice manufacturer, in 1963 and retired in 1986. From 1945 to 1963, he was a porter for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

The Baltimore native graduated from Douglass High School in 1944 and enlisted in the Army, serving in a prisoner-of-war camp. At the end of the war, he was discharged with the rank of private.

In 1947, he married Elizabeth Watkins, who died in 1995.

Services for the lifelong resident of Northwest Baltimore will be held at 7 p.m. tomorrow at Rehoboth Apostolic Church of God In Christ Jesus, 700 Poplar Grove St.

He is survived by two sons, Alonza E. Williams Jr. and Michael Williams, both of Baltimore; three daughters, Francie White of Randallstown and Mary Carlton and Miriam Williams, both of Baltimore; eight grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Margaret S. Rupert, 79, secretary, churchwoman

Margaret S. Rupert, a retired administrator and churchwoman, died of a stroke March 12 at Manor Care in Towson. She was 79.

She was executive secretary of the Society for the Prevention of Blindness from 1967 until 1987. Earlier, she was financial secretary at Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church for 10 years.

The longtime Kingsville resident was an active communicant of St. John's Episcopal Church, where she had been a member of the Altar Guild and vestry, and editor of the church newspaper.

Margaret Sevier was born in South Baltimore, graduated from Southern High School in 1935 and earned a bachelor's degree in education from Towson State College in 1939.

In 1944, she married Kenneth C. Rupert, who died in 1980.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. May 10 at St. John's Episcopal Church in Kingsville.

She is survived by a daughter, Leslie Rupert Schwartz of New York City; and a brother, Joseph C. Sevier of Pasadena.

Pub Date: 4/09/97

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad