Calvert Hall arrives, beats St. Mary's, 10-9 No. 6 Cards break through with double-OT win; Saints drop 2nd straight


Calvert Hall has gained a lot of respect around the MIAA Conference this season, but has had little to show for it after close losses to Boys' Latin and St. Paul's.

Yesterday at Weems Whalen Field in Annapolis, the sixth-ranked Cardinals earned more than a little respect from No. 2 St. Mary's.

Tom Tamberrino's goal midway through the second overtime period lifted the Cardinals to a 10-9 victory and dealt the defending league champion Saints their second loss in three days.

Tamberrino was one of many heroes for Calvert Hall. Faceoff man John Ritcey helped the Cardinals maintain possession of the ball -- especially in the second quarter when he won all seven faceoffs -- and goalie Beret Dickson was brilliant in goal, turning away 16 shots, including four in overtime.

The victory was bittersweet for Calvert Hall junior Mike LaMonica, who suffered what was believed to be a broken left arm. Before exiting midway through the fourth quarter, LaMonica, a transfer from Friends School, scored a team-high four goals.

"I've been on the team for four years now and this is the first time I've beaten St. Mary's so it feels really good to get the monkey off our back," said Tamberrino, who finished with one goal and two assists. "Calvert Hall has been progressing each year and getting better and better talent-wise, and today we finally dug down and got a little intensity in our eyes.

"We knocked on the door against [Boys' Latin] and St. Paul's, but today we did it."

The Cardinals (4-2, 2-2) nearly did it without overtime, but St. Mary's, which had its 17-game winning streak ended by Gilman on Tuesday, put their celebration on hold when Chris Summers (three goals) tied the game at 9 with 1: 13 left in regulation.

The Saints (2-2, 1-2) got a final chance to win in regulation but Dickson, who had come out of the crease, threw his body in front of the last-second shot, sending the game into overtime.

"We have a lot of talent this year and it was just a matter of us putting it together and playing unselfishly," said Dickson.

Calvert Hall rallied from two goals down to take a 5-4 halftime lead. The Saints took their final lead on an underhand roller from Jamison Mullen with 5: 21 left in the third. LaMonica's younger brother, freshman Danny, knotted the game at 6 just 30 seconds later.

Mike LaMonica closed out Calvert Hall's fourth-quarter scoring and gave the Cardinals a 9-7 lead with 5: 49 left. Twenty-seven seconds later, he was helped off the field.

"Both of these teams were against the wall and we both needed a win so I knew it was going to be a dogfight," said Cardinals second-year coach Bryan Kelly, who awarded the injured LaMonica the game ball.

"Everyone wants to beat us," said St. Mary's coach Jim Moorhead. "There's a lot of balance in this league this year."

Pub Date: 4/05/97

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad