Mary B. Mitchell, a volunteer at Maryland General Hospital, died of a stroke March 17 in Sarasota, Fla., where she lived since 1994. She was 75 and formerly lived in Roland Park and Guilford.
She graduated from Maryland General Hospital School of Nursing in 1943 and worked briefly at the old Keswick Home for Incurables and as a private duty nurse.
She later became president of Maryland General's Women's Auxiliary and during her tenure opened a coffee shop in the North Howard Street hospital.
She was a former first vice president of the Auxiliary of the Medical and Chirurgical Society of Maryland.
The former Mary Bowen, who was born in Baltimore, was a descendant of Benjamin Bowen, one of the original founders of Ruxton during the Colonial period. She spent her early years in Hampden, then lived in New Jersey and Pennsylvania and graduated from Mechanicsburg (Pa.) High School.
In 1945, she married John A. Mitchell, a retired physician who survives her.
Mrs. Mitchell was a member of the Woman's Club of Roland Park, Cliff Dwellers Garden Club, the Baltimore Country Club, the Farmington Country Club of Charlottesville, Va., and Meadows Country Club of Sarasota.
She and her husband enjoyed sailing the Chesapeake Bay and were members of Annapolis Yacht Club.
She was a communicant of Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, 5603 N. Charles St., where a memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. today.
Other survivors include a son, John Bowen Mitchell of Homestead, Fla.; a daughter, Judith M. Wright of Ruxton; a sister, Virginia Bowen Bryant of Sykesville; and four grandchildren.
Pub Date: 4/04/97