John J. Reynolds Jr., 83, owner of...

John J. Reynolds Jr., 83, owner of grocery store

John J. Reynolds Jr., who had owned a grocery store in Southwest Baltimore, died of liver cancer Monday at Stella Maris Hospice at Mercy Medical Center. He was 83.


The lifelong Pigtown resident owned Reynolds' Grocery Store at Cross and Carroll streets from 1951 until 1974, when he retired. Before going into the grocery business, he was a meat cutter at Esskay for 20 years.

"It was an old-fashioned, family-run grocery store, the kind of store where people called up and placed orders," said a son, Carroll Reynolds of Pigtown. As a youth he and his brothers and sister made deliveries for the store.


"We lived above the store and he worked six days a week," the son said. "He never had time for a vacation," the son said.

Mr. Reynolds was a 1929 graduate of Mount St. Joseph High School. In 1932, he married Mary Dorothy McKenna, who died in 1993.

In retirement, Mr. Reynolds enjoyed fishing and sailing and volunteered as a cook at the city's Eating Together Program for senior citizens.

He was a communicant of St. Jerome Roman Catholic Church, Scott and Hamburg streets, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today.

He is survived by four other sons, John J. Reynolds III of Ocean City, Michael E. Reynolds of Pigtown, Paul Reynolds of Millersville and Mark W. Reynolds of Severna Park; two brothers, William Reynolds of Arbutus and Charles Reynolds of Bowleys Quarters; eight grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Sister Margaret Crawford, S.S.N.D., a retired teacher, died in her sleep Monday at Maria Health Center at Villa Assumpta, the motherhouse of the School Sisters of Notre Dame.

Sister Margaret taught history at the Institute of Notre Dame from 1967 to 1970. Other local teaching assignments included St. Mary's parochial school in Hagerstown from 1954 to 1960 and St. Mark's parochial school in Catonsville from 1960 to 1966.

She also taught at parochial schools in Philadelphia, Meriden, Conn., and West Hollywood, Fla., before retiring in 1989.


She was born Mary Bernward in Washington and graduated from St. Joseph Academy. After working as a typist for a year, she entered the School Sisters of Notre Dame in 1939 and professed her vows in 1942 and began her teaching career in Massachusetts.

She earned a bachelor's degree in history from the College of Notre Dame of Maryland in 1964 and a master's degree in the TTC same discipline from Seton Hall University in South Orange, N.J., in 1971.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today at Villa Assumpta, 6401 N. Charles St.

She is survived by two sisters-in-law, Lucy Crawford of Lauderdale Hill, Fla., and Maude Mead of Falls Church, Va.; and a niece, Rita Demma of Annapolis.

Col. Carl C. Barthel, 79, World War II combat pilot

Retired Air Force Col. Carl Colbourn Barthel, a combat pilot during World War II, died of cancer Jan. 29 at his home in Upperco. He was 79.


Colonel Barthel served in the Air Force for 28 years and was lead navigator in the raid on the Ploesti Oil Refinery in Romania in 1943. After the war, he taught navigation and retired in 1970.

His decorations included the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, Bronze Star, Silver Star and Croix de Guerre that was presented to him by President Charles de Gaulle of France.

The Baltimore native was raised in Arbutus and graduated from Catonsville High School in 1933. He attended the University of Maryland and enlisted in the Army Air Forces in 1942.

Colonel Barthel was a member of St. John's Episcopal Church in Glyndon, American Legion Post No. 0016 in Reisterstown and the VFW Post 467 in Westminster.

He enjoyed hunting, fishing and woodworking.

He married Joan L. Thomas in 1944; she died in 1980. He married Helene Zborowski in 1982.


Services were held Feb. 1.

Other survivors include a son, Carl Colbourn Barthel Jr. of Rice, Minn.; three daughters, Leigh Aldrich of Angelfire, N.M., Veronique Sippel of Westminster and Dominique Rolfes of Towson; a brother, Dr. Robert Barthel of Forest Hill; a sister, Dorothy Beauchamp of White Stone, Va.; and four grandchildren.

Clarence E. Miller, who had been a steel worker and an assembly line worker, died of heart failure Sunday at St. Agnes Hospital. The Catonsville resident was 82.

A native of Rice, Va., he came to Maryland in the early 1930s and went to work at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant. In the early 1940s, he started working on the assembly line at the Glenn L. Martin Co., the Middle River aircraft manufacturer.

In 1937, he married Gladys Maith.

Services will be held at 7 p.m. today at Derrick C. Jones Funeral Home, 4611 Park Heights Ave.


In addition to his wife, survivors include a daughter, Carolyn "Polly" Bailey of Baltimore; a brother, Joseph Miller of Green Bay, Va.; two sisters, Viola Harrison of Baltimore and Jessie Rich of New York City; six grandchildren; 14 great-grandchildren, and three great-great-grandchildren.

George E. P. Hanson, 83, longtime AAA salesman

George Everett Pierce Hanson, who spent 25 years with the American Automobile Association's Maryland Division, died of cancer Monday at Manor Care Ruxton. He was 83 and had lived in Parkville.

He joined AAA in 1953 at its former headquarters on Mount Royal Avenue in Baltimore, where he was a membership and insurance salesman. He operated a Rayco seat-cover franchise on Pulaski Highway from 1949 to 1953.

The native of Fort Pierce, Fla., was raised there and in Minneapolis. In 1943, he joined the merchant marine and served aboard Liberty ships in North Atlantic convoys during World War During the war, he crossed the Atlantic 37 times, according to a daughter, Marsha Hanson of Newport, R.I. After the war, he stayed in the merchant marine and worked for U.S. Lines until he retired in 1949.

He wrote op-ed page pieces for The Evening Sun and The Sun and collected antiques.


He was a member of the church council of St. Andrews Lutheran Church, 1201 Taylor Ave., where services will be held at 1 p.m. today.

He is survived by his wife, the former Blanche Dorfler, whom he married in 1949; a son, Steven Hanson of Glen Rock, Pa.; three other daughters, Karen McClusky of Ruxton, Patti Lewis of Orange, Calif., and Terry Phillips of Bellingham, Mass.; a brother, Earl Hanson of Tokyo; and five grandchildren.

Margaret Annie Boyd, 76, waitress at Hutzler's

Margaret Annie Boyd, a waitress at the restaurant in the

Huztler's department store in Towson, died of lung disease Sundayat St. Joseph Medical Center. She was 76 and lived in Towson.

A lifelong Marylander, she began working at the restaurant in the late 1950s and retired in 1988.


She was born Margaret Riley and, in 1954, married John Joseph Boyd Sr. He died in 1974.

A Memorial Mass was offered yesterday.

She is survived by a son, John Joseph Boyd Jr. of Perry Hall; a brother, Martin Riley of the Eastern Shore; and a sister, Virginia Beyer of Churchville.

Pub Date: 2/27/97