Michael Green scored 19 first- half points to lead Navy to a 109-73 Patriot League win yesterday over Lehigh in Annapolis.
Green finished with 21 points and career highs of 11 rebounds and seven assists. Michael Heary, who hit a season-high five three-pointers, led the Midshipmen (15-8, 7-1) with 23 points.
Navy's win, coupled with Colgate's loss to Holy Cross, puts the Midshipmen in a position to capture the Patriot League regular-season championship and the top seed in the league tournament if they can win their three remaining league games.
Green's basket with 15: 21 left in the opening half broke a 7-7 tie and started a 16-2 Navy run, and the Midshipman rolled to a 23-9 lead. When Green scored to open the second half, Navy led 61-32, and the Midshipmen stretched their lead to as many as 38 points after a basket by Brian Walker.
* South Carolina State 70, UMES 64: Roderick Blakney scored 27 points, including a three-pointer with 17 seconds left to tie the game, and the host Bulldogs (10-9, 9-2 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) went on to win in overtime.
UMES (7-13, 3-9), which placed five players in double figures, was paced by Cryhten Langhorne and William Wright with 16 points each. Langhorne's layup brought the Hawks as close as 65-61 in overtime.
* Western Maryland 71, Franklin and Marshall 64: Freshman center Brian Billman scored 18 points and grabbed 15 rebounds to lead the Green Terror to its first win in 13 years over Centennial Conference foe Franklin and Marshall.
Western Maryland (9-11, 4-5) had lost 24 consecutive games to the Diplomats (10-10, 4-5).
* Johns Hopkins 64, Haverford 55: Senior center Matt Gorman scored 17 points and grabbed 12 rebounds as the host Blue Jays (15-5, 8-1) held off the Fords (2-18, 0-9) in a Centennial Conference game.
Johns Hopkins led 30-21 at halftime, and Haverford rallied to get within 43-42 with 10: 05 left to play before the Blue Jays pulled away.
* Goucher 66, Gallaudet 40: Sophomore guard Bakari Ward scored 11 points off the bench as the Gophers (16-4, 10-0) maintained the lead in the Capital Athletic Conference. Goucher led 31-24 at halftime and used an 11-0 run to take a commanding 43-24 lead with 15: 10 left.
York College 119, Salisbury State 108, 2OT: The host Spartans finished with five players in double figures, including 26 points each from Dave Martins and Jason Saurbaugh, as they outlasted the Sea Gulls in double overtime in a Capital Athletic Conference game.
* Lehigh 80, Navy 78, OT: Danielle Baldwin scored 20 points, leading Lehigh to the overtime victory over Navy at Alumni Hall.
The Mountain Hawks (11-11, 6-3 Patriot League) led by as many as eight points in the second half before Navy (19-4, 6-3) took the lead on a basket by Joanne Groth, who scored a team-high 20 points, with less than five minutes left.
Adria Schneck added 18 points for the Midshipman. Dowling's 17 points made her the seventh player to score 1,000 points in a career at Navy.
* Wagner 76, Mount St. Mary's 55: Wagner (13-7, 7-5) outscored the Mountaineers (10-10, 5-7), 26-10, over the first 10 minutes of the second half on the way to a Northeast Conference victory in Emmitsburg.
Junior center Rachel Harrington led Mount St. Mary's with a career-high 15 points.
* Western Maryland 66, Franklin and Marshall 61, OT : Katie Haley posted career-highs of 30 points and 16 rebounds and Heidi Snyder added a career-high 25 points as the Green Terror edged the host Diplomats (12-7, 6-5) in overtime in a Centennial Conference game. Haley scored seven of Western Maryland's 12 points in the extra period.
* Gallaudet 66, Goucher 39: Freshman center Rhonda Miller had game highs of 18 points and 15 rebounds to lead the Bison (14-6, 8-2) past the host Gophers (2-17, 0-10) in a Capital Athletic Conference game.
* Salisbury State 90, York 81: The Sea Gulls (13-7, 7-3) scored 55 points in the second half and Jessica LaTour led all scorers with 26 as Salisbury overcame an eight-point halftime deficit to win.
Pub Date: 2/09/97