Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Arrested officer had faced other allegations Latest charges include beating daughter, 12, possessing cocaine


The arrest Friday of a Baltimore police officer charged with beating her daughter and possessing cocaine marks the third time the four-year veteran has faced criminal charges while a member of the force.

Officer Christine P. Boyd, 25, was suspended without pay yesterday until the case is resolved. She has been released on $20,000 bail and her next court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 27. Boyd could not be reached for comment.

Her tenure as a member of the Baltimore Police Department has been marred by suspensions, but she has never been convicted of a crime. In each case, prosecutors dropped the charges or did not pursue them.

Since becoming an officer in 1992, Boyd has been charged with threatening neighbors while armed, and with reckless endangerment after her 11-year-old daughter allegedly pointed the officer's loaded, police-issued handgun at a 10-year-old boy.

Her latest arrest -- on allegations that she hit her daughter, now 12, with a belt and tried to smother her with a pillow -- comes during a troubling time for the 3,200-member department.

In the past three months, more than a dozen city officers have been charged in criminal cases that range from rape to stalking to stealing baseball playoff tickets. Department officials said that Boyd has been disciplined for various administrative infractions, including an accident with her patrol car. Twice she was suspended without pay.

The officials said she was to be considered for termination after the alleged gun incident involving her daughter if another serious transgression occurred. She later was accused of threatening neighbors, but those criminal charges were dropped. The department is still investigating, however.

The father of Boyd's daughter is puzzled by how Boyd can remain on the force. "That's a good question," said Brian R. Conner, 27, of Northwest Baltimore, who is taking care of the child even though Boyd has legal custody.

Boyd had been in trouble with the law before she became a police officer. In 1989, the Walbrook High School graduate was charged with malicious destruction of property and possession of a deadly weapon. Details of those charges, later dropped, could not be learned yesterday.

Boyd was a cook and cashier at Hardy's and McDonald's fast-food restaurants and then a security guard for a private company before joining the police force in July 1992. Department officials were unable to say whether her 1989 arrest was considered during a routine background check done on new police recruits.

"I guess that's what she always wanted to do," said Conner, a Baltimore firefighter, about why Boyd joined the police force. "She always talked about it."

Boyd was a patrol officer in the Northern District in 1993. That December, she had an accident involving her police cruiser that was ruled to be her fault.

Four months later, she crashed her cruiser a second time, this time colliding with another car in an intersection. She was found guilty of administrative charges. Police records show she was ordered to receive counseling, a letter of reprimand was placed in her file and she was suspended without pay for two days.

In April 1995, according to a police report, her daughter became angry at a 10-year-old in the Perkins Homes public housing complex in Southeast Baltimore. The boy had thrown her jacket into a trash bin.

The police report says the girl got her mother's Glock 9 mm semiautomatic handgun from under a mattress and pointed it at the boy through a window. The gun was loaded with 14 bullets.

Boyd was charged with allowing a child access to a handgun and with reckless endangerment. A prosecutor placed the charges on an inactive docket. Boyd was suspended from the force for five days without pay.

In May, two Northeast Baltimore women filed assault-by-threat charges against Boyd after a neighborhood dispute. According to a police report, Boyd and a friend threatened to beat up the women.

The report says that one of the accusers, MaSean Williams, 27, refused to come out of her Montpelier Street rowhouse and fight after seeing Boyd's handgun tucked into her waistband.

"I'm not crazy. If I come out there, you'll shoot me," the report quoted Williams as yelling at Boyd.

According to the police report, Boyd responded: "If I wanted to shoot you, I would have by now."

The charges against Boyd were dropped, but Agent Ragina L. Cooper, a city police spokeswoman, said the internal investigation division is still looking into the matter. Boyd was assigned to the property division for three weeks while that criminal case was pending.

The latest incident occurred Friday, when, police say, Boyd dropped off her daughter at Conner's home. Conner called police after he said the girl had been hit. She was examined at Sinai Hospital, where police said she suffered from a bruise on the corner of her left eye, a scratch on her left eyelid and two teeth marks on the top of her right hand.

A police spokeswoman said the girl told police that her mother "struck her with a belt several times and then tried to smother her with a pillow."

At the request of supervisors, Boyd went to the Northern District station, where she was arrested. Early Saturday, police said, they searched her Northeast Baltimore home and found 14 bags of cocaine.

Boyd has been charged with child abuse, assault, reckless endangerment, possession of cocaine and possession with intent to distribute cocaine. Her roommate, Maxine Taylor, 26, was charged with possession of cocaine and possession with intent to distribute cocaine.

Pub Date: 12/31/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad