A Westminster family of six was treated at Carroll County General Hospital and released Wednesday after heavy smoke forced them from their apartment, fire authorities said.
James Nash Jr., his wife, Sherie, and four children, of Manchester Avenue, suffered minor smoke inhalation before Nash was able to put out a fire inside an oven about 10: 23 p.m.
State fire marshals said the appliance's self-clean system malfunctioned, filling the second-floor apartment with thick yellow smoke, and a smoke detector failed to alert the family because its battery was missing.
Westminster: Firefighters responded at 5: 10 p.m. Wednesday to a carbon monoxide alarm on West Main Street. Units were out 22 minutes.
Pleasant Valley: Firefighters from Taneytown and Westminster assisted Pleasant Valley at 4: 21 p.m. Wednesday, responding to a chimney fire in the 2600 block of Tyrone Road. Units were out one hour.
Westminster: Firefighters from Reese, Pleasant Valley and Manchester assisted Westminster at 12: 50 p.m. Tuesday, responding to an unknown odor in the first block of Wimert Ave. Units were out 36 minutes.
Westminster: A resident of Carroll View Avenue told police Wednesday that someone broke a window at his home. Damage was estimated at $200.
Westminster: An East Green Street resident told police Tuesday that someone stole jewelry from her home. The loss was estimated at $2,650.
Westminster: A resident of Warfieldsburg Road told police Tuesday that someone broke a window in his vehicle while it was parked to the rear of the first block of W. Main St. between 5 p.m. and 5: 30 p.m. Monday. Damage was estimated at $250.
Westminster: A Windsor Drive resident told police Monday that someone broke a window at her home. Damage was estimated at $200.
Westminster: An East Main Street resident told police Monday ++ that someone broke a window in her vehicle while it was parked on South Hills Court. Damage was estimated at $120.
Pub Date: 12/27/96