Neighbors and Baltimore County firefighters have rallied to the aid of a Middle River family injured Monday when their house burned.
The Baltimore County Firefighters Association gave $600 in gift certificates for Kmart, Toys 'R' Us and Super Fresh supermarket to the Glass family, whose home in the 600 block of W. Kingsway was damaged by a blaze believed to have been started by one of the children playing with a lighter in a bedroom.
Yesterday, Albert Glass, 35, was in good condition in the burn unit at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center.
His wife, Diane Glass, 31, and their two children -- all of whom were treated for smoke inhalation and released Monday -- were staying with relatives, fire officials said.
Jim Kinard, chairman of the Firefighters Association's Victim Assistance Program, said the family was given gift certificates to help them replace clothing, food and presents lost in the fire.
The program often is used by fire victims, especially those without insurance, Kinard said.
"It's amazing that in this day and age people don't have insurance, but it does happen," Kinard said. "We also give out resource lists to help them find housing and other things they may need."
Kinard said neighbors also began a drive to collect food and clothing for the family.
Officials said the home's smoke detectors had been disconnected because they frequently sounded during cooking.
Firefighters canvassed the neighborhood yesterday, distributing smoke detectors and talking to residents about fire prevention.
Pub Date: 12/25/96