Middle River man suffers serious burns in house fire Members of his family also injured in blaze


A Middle River man was seriously burned and members of his family injured when an early morning fire broke out in their two-story rowhouse yesterday.

Albert Glass, 35, of the 600 block of West Kingsway was in guarded condition in the burn unit at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center yesterday.

His wife, Diane Glass, 31, and their two children, Albert, 3, and Amanda, 8, were treated for smoke inhalation at Franklin Square Hospital Center and released, said Battalion Chief Mark Hubbard, a Fire Department spokesman. Three children visiting the family also were treated for smoke inhalation and released.

Hubbard said the fire started shortly before 7 a.m. when Albert was playing with a lighter in his parents' second-floor bedroom and the bed caught fire. While Mr. Glass tried to extinguish the lTC fire, Mrs. Glass got the children out of the house, Hubbard said.

Hubbard said the smoke detectors in the house had been disconnected because they frequently sounded during cooking. Firefighters planned to return to the neighborhood this morning to distribute smoke detectors and speak with residents about fire prevention.

The Baltimore County Firefighters Association has said it will help the family replace furniture and Christmas presents destroyed in the fire.

Pub Date: 12/24/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad