Cosmic Cocktail in 2 weeks: Get your ticket today before they sell out.

Genevieve Della Noce, 86, helped run funeral...


Genevieve Della Noce, 86, helped run funeral home

Genevieve Della Noce, a longtime Baltimore area resident who for many years helped run a family-owned funeral home, died Saturday of undetermined causes at St. Joseph Medical Center in Towson. She was 86.

Born Genevieve Corteggiano in Baltimore, she graduated from Eastern High School in the 1920s, then was an accountant for a tailoring company and attended college.

From 1931 to 1970, she taught at several area high schools, then she worked at Della Noce and Sons Funeral Home -- a business founded by her in-laws -- on High Street in Little Italy.

She married Jerome Della Noce in 1934. He died in 1985.

Mrs. Della Noce had been a member of the Order Sons of Italy in America for 55 years and was the first woman to be named an officer in the group's grand lodge of Maryland. In 1991, she was awarded the Columbus Award for her contributions to the organization.

For the last 38 years, she was a member of St. Leo's Roman Catholic Church, where a Mass of Christian burial was offered Wednesday.

She is survived by two sons, Frank Della Noce of Dundalk and Jerome J. Della Noce of Gulfport, Fla.; three daughters, Geraldine Kelley of Glen Burnie, Francine Meo of Catonsville and Regina Bekowitz of Carney; two brothers, William Corteggiano of Traverse City, Mich., and Romolo Corteggiano of Gulfport; 14 grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

Isabella Bell Taylor, 59, sewed and made clothes

Isabella Bell Taylor, who enjoyed sewing and making clothes, died Dec. 12 of cancer at her Pikesville home. She was 59.

She was born Isabella Bell in Florence, S.C., and moved to Baltimore in 1940. She graduated from Carver Vocational-Technical High School in 1956 and attended what then was Morgan State College.

She worked in sales at the old Stewart's department store in the Reisterstown Road Plaza and in the 1980s became a tailor and saleswoman for Macy's department stores in Hunt Valley and Owings Mills. She retired in 1993.

Mrs. Taylor made much of her family's clothing and did alterations for friends.

Services were held yesterday.

She is survived by her husband, Nelson Taylor, whom she married in 1961; a son, Nelson Taylor Jr., and a daughter, Arvis Taylor, both of Pikesville; two brothers, Edward Bell and Thomas Bell, and a sister, Fannie Harvey, all of Baltimore.

Wilbur E. Thomas, a retired insurance agent, died Dec. 9 of heart disease at the home of his daughter in Frostburg. He was 75.

A former resident of Arbutus and Parkville, he was an account agent for Allstate Insurance Cos. from 1960 to 1977 and earlier worked for 20 years as a machinist and engineer at Bendix Radio Corp.

The East Baltimore native, who was known as "Webb," was a graduate of City College and earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Baltimore.

During World War II, he served in the Army Air Corps. He belonged to veterans groups and volunteered at the Howard County Workshop for the Retarded and the Maryland Rehabilitation Center.

His marriages to Phyllis Lane and Audrey Waters ended in divorce.

He was a member of Loch Raven Presbyterian Church where services were held Dec. 13.

He is survived by a son, Dale L. Thomas of Parkville; a daughter, Stephanie T. Flanigan of Frostburg; a sister, Eva Alva Wheatley of Parkville; and four grandchildren.

Florence M. Holdt, 81, a retired high school mathematics teacher, died of natural causes Dec. 11 at her home in Falls Church, Va.

Born in Chicago, the former Florence Mabel Buerckholtz was a lieutenant in the Navy from 1939 to 1946.

She retired from teaching in 1975.

A burial service with honors will be held at Arlington National Cemetery Columbarium at 11 a.m. Dec. 24.

Services were held Dec. 15.

She is survived by her husband, Arthur E. Holdt of Naples, Fla.; a daughter, Cathy A. Holdt of Indiana; a son, Arthur E. Holdt II of Hampstead; a brother, Wilbur Buerckholtz of Illinois; two granddaughters; and two nieces.

James F. Offutt Jr., 69, attorney in Towson

James F. Offutt Jr., an attorney and vice president of a Towson real estate and property management company, died of heart failure Dec. 13 at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. He was 69.

He was a descendant of the founders of Cockeysville, where he lived his entire life.

Mr. Offutt, who was semiretired, had been a vice president of Thornhill Properties Inc. since 1986. He maintained law offices for many years in Towson.

He was a graduate of Towson High School and served in the Army in Germany at the end of World War II.

He earned bachelor's and law degrees in 1951 from the University of Baltimore.

Mr. Offutt was a member of the Baltimore County Bar Association and was legal adviser to the Cockeysville Volunteer Fire Department.

He was an avid Chesapeake Bay sailor and enjoyed riding his Harley-Davidson motorcycle with sidecar.

Mr. Offutt was a member of Sherwood Episcopal Church in Cockeysville, where services were held Tuesday.

He is survived by his wife of 46 years, the former Virginia DiMaggio; a son, James F. Offutt III of Bel Air; three daughters, Sarah E. Zappa of Fallston, and Isabelle F. Bena and Ann B. Sarant, both of Cockeysville; a sister, Sarah Jane Thomas of Westminster; and 10 grandchildren.

Pub Date: 12/20/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad