Man gets 15-year term in shooting Incident outside bar critically injured victim


A Westminster man who shot an acquaintance outside an Eldersburg tavern in August was sentenced to 15 years in prison yesterday after pleading guilty in Carroll County Circuit Court.

Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. sentenced Igor "Gary" Ivanov, 29, to concurrent 30-year prison terms but suspended all but 15 years for each of three counts of assault with intent to murder.

Burns also gave Ivanov a concurrent five-year prison sentence for use of a handgun in the commission of a violent crime and placed him on five years' probation upon his release.

Ivanov, a Russian immigrant, could also face deportation upon his release from prison, State's Attorney Jerry F. Barnes said.

Before being sentenced, Ivanov told Burns that he had "only a faint recollection" of what happened Aug. 27. He said the burden of guilt is eased knowing that the victim, James W. "Jamie" Manis, did not die.

"I cannot ask for forgiveness for me," Ivanov said, "but I can ask for mercy -- not for me -- but for [my family]."

Judson K. Larrimore, an assistant public defender representing Ivanov, asked the judge for leniency, noting that his client emigrated from the former Soviet Union with just $300 in his pocket seven years ago. Since then, Ivanov, working as a high-tech auto mechanic, had saved enough to bring his wife, son and mother to Westminster and to purchase a home, he said.

"Except for this incident, my client has been a model citizen," Larrimore told the judge.

But Barnes reminded the judge that Manis, 30, was flown in critical condition to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center. He spent nine days there being treated for abdominal wounds.

Mary Cannaday, Manis' mother, said her son "lost a third of his liver, his gall bladder and a portion of his lower intestines."

According to police reports, Ivanov was put out of K. C.'s Kafe, a family restaurant and bar on Liberty Road, three times that evening for being disorderly.

During his third banishment, a bar patron kicked Ivanov in the head, police said.

Witnesses said that after leaving the parking lot, Ivanov returned within minutes in a Lincoln Town Car and opened fire.

Barnes said Ivanov fired eight shots from 15 to 20 feet. One struck Manis in the abdomen.

George M. Keehan and Joseph M. Mancini, who were helping Manis repair the tavern's front door -- damaged in an earlier scuffle -- ran to the side of the building to escape. Neither was injured.

Barnes said Ivanov drove home, where state police arrested him a few hours later. The pistol used in the shooting was recovered from his home.

Manis, a carpenter who lives in Sykesville, said the problems that night began over an arm wrestling match.

Manis said he has not been able to work since the shooting and has accumulated more than $42,000 in medical bills.

Burns issued a civil judgment against Ivanov to recover the cost of the victim's medical bills.

Pub Date: 12/17/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad