A popular Westminster smorgasbord restaurant plans to reopen by lunchtime tomorrow after an electrical fire left soot throughout the establishment last week.
No one was injured in the fire. State fire marshals estimated damage at $150,000.
Robert Katz, president of Horn & Horn Inc., said Friday that crews would work throughout the weekend to replace the ceiling and wipe away the black residue.
"The soot is on everything, but we're planning on being ready for county inspectors [tomorrow]," he said.
The fire began in wiring inside a dishwasher after the business closed Thursday and had burned itself out before restaurant workers arrived Friday, said Jeff Alexander, chief of the Westminster Fire Engine & Hose Company.
Katz said the building received no structural damage.
"It will be a while before we can get the dishwasher back, but we'll use top-quality disposable items until we do," he said.
Firefighters from Westminster returned to the cafeteria-style restaurant about 11: 30 a.m. Friday after electricians encountered some arcing and smoke while circuit breakers were being reset.
"No one knows for sure why that happened, but the lights are back on, and everyone is working hard to get everything cleaned up," Katz said.
He said that the loss of business during the preholiday weekend would hurt but that he was optimistic that swift repairs would minimize the loss.
Pub Date: 12/16/96