Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

'Predator' sentenced to 85 years in jail for carjacking and attack on woman


A 46-year-old Oakland Mills man has been sentenced to 85 years in prison for kidnapping a woman at the Columbia Ice Rink last January, forcing her to drive to Jessup and sexually fondling her.

Glenn Vincent Rhodes of the 9300 block of Indian Camp Road received the sentence Friday from Howard Circuit Judge James B. Dudley.

Rhodes -- who has convictions for attempted rape, robbery and breaking and entering dating back 20 years -- is a threat to society, Assistant State's Attorney William Tucker said.

"I feel good about putting the guy away because he is a predator," Tucker said after the sentence. But "we still have [the victim] who was traumatized by this."

Rhodes "indicated he found God in jail. Well, he did not have God when he attacked [the victim]," Tucker said.

In August, Rhodes was convicted of kidnapping, carjacking -- each of which carries a 30-year sentence -- and of a third-degree sex offense, robbery, theft, battery, assault and theft charges.

He was acquitted on charges of armed robbery and possession of a deadly weapon with intent to injure.

Not long before the attack, Tucker said, Rhodes had been released from prison after serving 15 years of a 20-year sentence fTC for seven armed robberies in Prince George's County.

Dudley ordered that Rhodes finish the total sentence -- adding the five years to the sentence in this case, Tucker said.

He said the woman was waiting for her son outside the rink in Columbia's Oakland Mills Village Center last January and had gone to the grocery store on the other side of the parking lot. As she neared her car, Rhodes approached her from behind, pressed a knife to her side and ordered her to drive him to Jessup, Tucker said.

After ordering her not to look at him, Rhodes told her to park at an Anne Arundel County restaurant, fondled her and tried to kiss her. The woman told Rhodes she had to go to the bathroom, climbed out of the car and ran for help, Tucker said. Rhodes then fled the car.

Following a trail of footprints in the snow, Anne Arundel police arrested Rhodes.

Pub Date: 12/09/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad