Boy kidnapped in Conn. found unharmed in New York 2 Asian suspects sought; FBI refusing to comment


HARTFORD, Conn. -- A 12-year-old boy who was kidnapped at gunpoint Nov. 27 from his Connecticut home was found unharmed early yesterday in New York City by law enforcement officials and returned to his home in Meriden, the FBI said yesterday.

But the case was far from closed, as the authorities continued to search for the two Asian men who had carried the boy, Wei Yang, out of his home without a jacket, shoes or socks after tying up his sister and mother.

The FBI's Connecticut office, which is handling the investigation, was unusually secretive about the case, saying that the release of any additional information could jeopardize the investigation.

It was not clear whether the kidnapping was the latest in a series of crimes committed in Connecticut over the past two years by Chinese gangs.

Earlier this year, two men with ties to a gang were charged with robbing three women related to the owner of a Chinese restaurant in Guilford. In January, the owner of a Chinese restaurant near New London was held hostage until his relatives in China paid a ransom.

And in November 1995, a Chinese family in North Branford was followed home from a Chinese restaurant and robbed in what the authorities classified as a gang-related incident.

Early yesterday, members of a joint FBI and New York City police task force picked up the boy from the corner of College Point Boulevard and 41st Road in Flushing, Queens, a Hartford television station, WFSB-TV, reported yesterday evening.

The investigation yesterday was shrouded in secrecy, as federal officials offered little insight as to what was happening. John Weiss, the head of the Hartford office of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, said officials were checking the immigration status of employees at the family restaurant, but declined to elaborate as to why they were doing this.

Wei Yang's family moved to Meriden in July 1995 to open a restaurant, Chinese Buffet, in the neighboring town of Wallingford. Police said that two men broke into the house around 8: 30 p.m. and demanded money. They then cut the phone lines and used packing tape to gag and tie Wei's mother and sister, dragging the 5-foot-tall boy in a T-shirt and jeans into -- the unseasonably cold night.

His sister, Katie, freed herself and ran to a neighbor's house, where she called the police.

Pub Date: 12/04/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad