William and Mary slides past Terps Maryland outshoots Tribe, but falls in NCAAs, 3-0


Third-ranked William and Mary blazed its way into yesterday's NCAA tournament second-round game at the University of Maryland's water-logged Ludwig Field in College Park with a 17-game winning streak that included eight shutouts.

That fire would not be doused -- not by the wind and rain that produced ankle-high mud puddles, not by the finger-numbing temperatures and not by the Terps' offense, which outshot the ** visitors 9-2 in the first half and 16-7 overall.

The Tribe won, 3-0, scoring all the goals in the final 17: 40. The first two came within 1: 30 of each other, tallied by W&M;'s all-time leading scorer and Gonzaga High graduate Waughn Hughes (24 goals, 11 assists) and by defender Mike Botta.

The first soccer game between the schools was played in front of 770 cold and wet fans.

The Tribe (20-2-1), which had not won a second-round game since 1980, faces St. John's, a 2-1 winner over George Mason, in next weekend's quarterfinal at a site, date and time to be announced today.

Anchored by 6-foot-5, 200-pound freshman keeper Adin Brown's career-high 12 saves, the Tribe tied the school record with its 11th shutout -- Brown's ninth -- and raised its season-record victory total to 20.

The effort came against a Terps team which, led by Fallston High graduate Shane Dougherty (15 goals, six assists), had outscored its previous five opponents, 16-3. One of its two shutouts was a 2-0 win over then-No. 1-ranked Virginia for Maryland's first ACC tournament title.

"We had been scoring goals like crazy the last five or six games, and we outshot them about 16-4, which is a great territorial advantage. Unfortunately, that means very little in soccer," said fourth-year Terps coach Sasho Cirovski.

The Terps (14-6-3) finished a program-worst 3-14-1 three years ago. They were stopped one victory short of tying the single-season win total established in 1986.

Maryland was in its 17th NCAA tournament, its third straight second-round appearance, and looking to reach the national quarterfinals for the first time in 27 years. But having lost to Virginia in overtime two years ago, and to James Madison last year by penalty kicks, the Terps yesterday added to their string of frustrating second-round NCAA appearances.

Steve Jolley froze Maryland's defense by flicking on David McGowan's throw-in to Hughes, who earned a yellow card for first-half frustration but was composed for his game-winning header.

"He got there a few steps before me. It was a good effort by them," said Maryland goalie Russell Payne, a Glenelg graduate.

Next came Botta's 45-yard goal off a direct kick from in front of Maryland's bench. Served up as a pass to Jolley at the far post -- "I was just hoping someone would get a touch on it," Botta said -- the ball skipped past Payne's left side on one bounce.

"Myself and some of the defenders didn't challenge like we usually do," Payne said.

McGowan's final goal, from 20 yards away, sailed over Payne's head after he dribbled through the midfield with 2: 41 to play, and came barely a minute after the Terps' Jason Cropley failed to convert on an unprotected goal.

Cirovski said Maryland "had at least eight quality chances," but Brown, despite his height, showed he could get down and dirty. He constantly thwarted Pierre Venditti, who had a team-high five shots, followed by Steve Armas (three) and two from Dougherty.

A frustrated Venditti was ejected with 86 seconds left after elbowing Jason Quinter.

Goals: WM--Hughes, Botta, McGowan. Assists: WM--McGowan, Barrett. Saves: WM--Brown 12; UM--Payne 0. Halftime: 0-0.

Pub Date: 12/02/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad