John E. Vermillion, 82, comptroller's office auditorJohn...


John E. Vermillion, 82, comptroller's office auditor

John Eugene Vermillion, who owned a jewelry store and worked in the Maryland comptroller's office, died Nov. 22 of cancer at Charlestown Retirement Community, where he had lived for four years. He was 82.

Mr. Vermillion, who had lived in Parkville for more than 20 years, opened a jewelry store in Catonsville after World War II and sold it in 1961. He went to work for the state. When he retired at 62, he was an auditor in the alcohol and tobacco division of the comptroller's office.

The Bowie native, who graduated from the University of Baltimore, served in the Army during World War II and was discharged as a master sergeant.

In 1941, he married E. May Ivins, who died in 1994.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered Nov. 25.

He is survived by a daughter, Sara Ann Philpot of Glen Burnie; a sister, Elizabeth Donoho of Cambridge; a brother, Cornelius Vermillion of Laurel; and a grandson.

Emily Joyce Alexander, 63, active churchwoman

Emily Joyce Alexander, a homemaker who was active in the affairs of Light Street Presbyterian Church, died Nov. 20 of complications of diabetes at her South Baltimore home. She was 63.

She was diagnosed with the disease when she was 10 months old, but led an active life, her family said.

"Her triumph over her diabetes, which she controlled with her iron will, was a real victory of the spirit," said her husband of 36 years, John D. Alexander Jr., a semiretired attorney.

The former Emily Joyce Leach was raised in Mount Washington. She earned a bachelor's degree from Towson State University and during the 1950s was employed by the state Department of Legislative Reference.

At Light Street Presbyterian Church, she was a leader of the Wednesday noon healing service, which she organized several years ago.

"She felt a need for people to have a time and place to quietly reflect on their problems and illnesses, yet at the same time be the recipient of the community of support," said Ann Pollitt, a church member and friend for many years.

"I think her own illness and the modern pace of life created in her a desire to help people focus on themselves."

Mrs. Alexander was active in Al-Anon and established a chapter of Nar-Anon at Light Street Presbyterian. She was a quilter and a member of the Septdn Quilting Club.

The Alexanders lived in Bolton Hill before moving 15 years ago to Light Street, where they combined and restored two 1850-era rowhouses.

A memorial service was held yesterday.

Other survivors include a son, John D. Alexander III of Key West, Fla.; three daughters, Stephanie Vaiden Stone of Street, Racheal Alexander Scott of Westminster and Harper Alexander Cohen of Mount Washington; a sister, Elaine Kuhl of Waynesville, N.C.; and six grandchildren.

James S. Pickin, an electrical engineer who had been a senior officer for the National Security Agency, died Nov. 23 of a brain tumor in Tucson, Ariz., where he lived. He was 59.

He joined NSA's telecommunications research and development division in 1967 and for most of his career was stationed at the agency's headquarters at Fort Meade and lived in Silver Spring. He retired in 1994 and moved to Tucson.

He was responsible for several important innovations at NSA and was awarded the agency's Certificate of Achievement in 1989.

Before joining NSA, he worked for the Army Intelligence Corps.

He was a 1959 graduate of Dartmouth College and earned a master's degree from Dartmouth the next year. He later completed four years of advanced study and research at Stanford University and was a 1981 graduate of the National War College in Washington.

He married Mary Joan Chalfont in 1966.

No funeral service will be held.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by a brother, Robert Pickin of Long Island, N.Y.

Michael D. Danton, 35, antiques dealer

Michael David Danton, a Baltimore native who often returned for his antiques business, died Saturday of unknown causes at a hotel room in Hunt Valley. He was 35 and recently had moved to Chicago.

Soon after graduating from Perry Hall High School in 1979, he began an antiques dealership. He relocated to Denver several years ago, then moved to Chicago during the summer.

But he returned to Baltimore several times a year, said his sister, Lisa Danton of Denver. Her brother had a cough for about a week but otherwise had no health problems, she said, and the cause of death has not been determined.

A memorial service will be held at 7 p.m. tomorrow at Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road.

In addition to his sister, Mr. Danton is survived by his parents, Frank and Donna Danton of Carlsbad, Calif.

Pub Date: 12/02/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad