Don’t miss Orioles players, John Means & Paul Fry, as they guest host at our Brews and O’s event!

Frank Pierce Giles, 87, chemical plant supervisorFrank...


Frank Pierce Giles, 87, chemical plant supervisor

Frank Pierce Giles, a retired chemical plant supervisor, died Wednesday of a bacterial infection at Johns Hopkins Hospital. ,, He was 87 and lived on Cecil Avenue in East Baltimore.

A native of Hanover County, Va., who left school in the seventh grade to help his family, he came to Baltimore in the late 1920s and worked at the Bethlehem Steel Corp. Sparrows Point plant until 1940, when he got a job at Edgewood Arsenal.

In the early 1950s, he joined Diamond Shamrock Co., a chemical company, and retired as chemical production supervisor in 1967.

He was a member of the East Moulding Republican Club and the Prince Hall Lodge No. 5.

In 1931, he married Catherine Bland, who died in 1986.

He was a member of Faith Baptist Church for more than 60 years and served on the usher board and many committees. Funeral services will be held at 11: 30 a.m. today at the church, Ashland Avenue and Bond Street.

He is survived by a son, Gene A. Giles of Baltimore; a brother, Joseph Giles of Mechanicsville, Va.; two sisters, Estilleana Ridges and Verlanda Crowder, both of Baltimore; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Hugh Knox Higgins, a retired treasurer and vice president of the University of Baltimore, died Nov. 8 of anemia at the Hospice of Baltimore's Gilchrist Center at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. The Ruxton resident was 88.

His association with the university began when he was a student there and was asked by R. Loran Langsdale, one of the founders of the university in 1925, to manage the school's bookstore.

After earning his bachelor's degree in 1931, he was appointed the school's treasurer and later a vice president. He held both positions when he retired in 1975.

"He contributed much to making what the University of Baltimore is today," said H. Mebane Turner, president of the school. "He was a wonderful friend and mentor to me when I came to the university."

Born in Cambridge, he moved to Cedarcroft in Northeast Baltimore as a child. He attended St. Paul's School and graduated from City College in 1926.

He was a lifelong communicant of Old St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Baltimore, where he was a member of the vestry and an usher.

He was a member of the Institute of Management Accountants, the Eastern Shore Society, Magna Carta Barons, Sons of Colonial Wars and the Colonial Order of the Crown.

No services were held. He is survived by his wife of 61 years, the former Myra Gill; and a daughter, Ellen Goldsborough Morrison of Baltimore.

Clara Lee Daniels, 65, Postal Service employee

Clara Lee Daniels, a retired U.S. Postal Service employee, died Friday of undetermined causes at Northwest Medical Center in Randallstown. The Pikesville resident was 65.

She worked for the Postal Service in the Baltimore area from 1965 to 1990.

A Baltimore native raised in East Baltimore, the former Clara Dillard was a 1948 graduate of Dunbar High School.

In 1965, she graduated from the former Miracle Valley Bible College in Arizona.

She was a member of the Upper Room Prayer Garden Church in Catonsville, participating in its youth ministry and Sunday school and serving on its board of trustees.

Her marriages to Joseph Day and John Daniels ended in divorce.

Services will be held at 7 p.m. today at Morningstar Baptist Church, 54 Winters Lane, Catonsville.

She is survived by a brother, Rudolph Dillard of Randallstown; two sisters, the Rev. J. D. Dillard of Pikesville and Karen Booker of Baltimore; and four nieces.

Jane Ellen Willey, 81, ran society to help the blind

Jane Ellen Willey, retired executive director of the Maryland Society for the Prevention of Blindness, died Nov. 5 of a heart attack at a hospital in San Diego. She was 81 and had homes there and in Riderwood.

She was executive director of the organization from 1954 until her retirement in 1980.

Earlier, she had taught third grade at the Park School and served as education director for the city Department of Housing.

Born in Hoopeston, Ill., the former Jane Davis moved to Jackson Heights, N.Y., after being orphaned at the age of 10. She graduated from Smith College in 1937.

In 1938, she married Stephen T. Ellen, and they moved to Baltimore in 1946. He died in 1982.

A memorial service for Mrs. Willey will be held at noon Dec. 7 at 1521 Hunters Mill Road in White Hall.

She is survived by her husband of two years, Robert H. Willey; two sons, Stephenson D. Ellen of Redwood City, Calif., and Terence H. Ellen of Wayne, N.J.; six grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Dr. Bertram H. Waskey, 78, osteopathic surgeon

Dr. Bertram Henry Waskey, a retired physician, died Nov. 14 in Troy, Mich., where he had lived since 1988. He was 78.

From 1945 to 1988, Dr. Waskey specialized in osteopathic medicine and surgery in several locations in Baltimore and in Baltimore County.

The Baltimore native graduated from the Des Moines (Iowa) College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery in 1941. He practiced in Wisconsin from 1941 until 1943, when he joined the Army, serving until 1945.

His first wife, the former Jeanne Yale, died in 1976.

Services were held Nov. 16.

He is survived by his wife, the former Beatrice B. Balciar; two sons, Bertram Henry Waskey Jr. of Baltimore and Charles M. Waskey of Ellicott City; two daughters, Barbara Yale Read of Boone, N.C., and Kathryn M. Grugeon of Clarksville; three sisters, Beulah Ard of Asheville, N.C., and Dorothy Dunkerton and Wilhelima Kearney, both of Baltimore; nine grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Sarah L. Roach, 83, school system secretary

Sarah L. Roach, a former secretary, died Nov. 11 of complications from surgery at Union Memorial Hospital. She was 83 and a Hamilton resident.

She was a secretary in the Baltimore public school system's former headquarters on 25th Street from 1964 to 1974. The next year, she took a part-time job typing the Baltimore Zoological Society's newsletter. She later managed the Baltimore Zoo's membership and Adopt-an-Animal programs and retired again in The former Sarah Slade was a Baltimore native and a graduate of Eastern High School and the Baltimore Business College.

She was a volunteer at the Maryland School for the Blind and a communicant and vestry member of St. John's Episcopal Church-Huntingdon, where services were held Nov. 15.

Her husband, John Carlisle Roach, died in 1982. She is survived by a son, John Roach of Baltimore; an aunt, Marie Slade of Bradshaw; a nephew and a niece; and several cousins.

Thomas M. Williams Jr., 73, Bell Atlantic manager

Thomas M. Williams Jr., a World War II merchant mariner who retired in 1984 as district manager for Bell Atlantic, died Nov. 11 of congestive heart failure at St. Joseph Medical Center. He was 73 and lived in Towson.

The Baltimore native graduated from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, N.Y., in 1944 and earned a law degree from the University of Baltimore School of Law in 1958.

He was a member of American Legion Post No. 183 and a volunteer with the Literacy in America program, teaching adults how to read.

A memorial service was held Nov. 15.

He is survived by his wife of 52 years, the former Ruth Doederlein; two sons, Thomas M. Williams III of Coral Springs, Fla., and Roger C. Williams of Seattle; and two grandchildren.

George F. Smith Jr., 76, Maryland state employee

George F. Smith Jr., a Maryland native and longtime state employee, died Nov. 17 of heart failure at Anne Arundel Medical Center. The Annapolis resident was 76.

In 1950, he joined the state income tax division and retired in 1983 as chief of the collections and compliance unit.

The Baltimore native graduated from Mount St. Joseph High School in 1939 and from the University of Baltimore.

He served in the Army Air Corps during World War II and the Air Force during the Korean War.

Services were held Wednesday.

He is survived by his wife, the former Margaret Bassford, whom he married in 1962; a brother, Robert J. Smith of Stevensville; and two sisters, Bernadette S. Waldner and Helen E. Stachowski, both of Baltimore.

Edgar F. Lassahan Sr., 82, owned funeral home

Edgar F. Lassahan Sr., the third-generation owner of a Northeast Baltimore funeral home, died Nov. 16 of cancer at his Bowleys Quarters home. He was 82.

He was a teen-ager when he joined Lassahn Funeral Homes, which was established by his grandfather, Frederick Lassahan, in the 7400 block of Belair Road in 1864. A second establishment was opened in Kingsville in 1969.

Edgar Lassahan took over the business in 1946 after the death of his father, Henry C. Lassahan, and retired in 1976.

"He still came in every day because he loved the business and he liked people," said a son, Edgar F. Lassahan Jr., who now operates the funeral establishment.

The Baltimore native graduated from Towson High School in 1932 and the Renourd Embalming School in New York City in 1933 and joined the family business.

He was a member of the Maryland State Funeral Directors Association.

Services were held Nov. 19.

He is survived by his wife of 61 years, the former M. Eleonora Albrecht; another son, Ronald C. Lassahan of Overlea; a daughter, Janet E. Hess of Overlea; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Alice Herndon Listman,88, a former kindergarten teacher in the Baltimore County school system, died Nov. 3 at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring of cancer.

The former Alice Trainor, a Baltimore native and Silver Spring resident, married Frederick William Listman in 1929. He died in 1993.

No services were held. She is survived by a daughter, Joan Listman Burchard of Arkansas; a brother, Vernon Trainor of Silver Spring; a sister, May Birckhead of Finksburg; eight grandchildren; and 13 great-grandchildren.

Lily E. Davis,100, who retired in 1961 as president of the D. Stuart Webb Printing and Advertising Co. of Baltimore, died of a heart attack Nov. 18 in Atlantic City, N.J. She had lived in Ventnor, N.J., for 20 years.

The former Lily Shipley was a Westminster native and lived for many years on North Charles Street with her husband, Elmer Davis, who died about 30 years ago.

Funeral services were held Wednesday. She is survived by many nieces and nephews.

Pub Date: 11/26/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad