Don’t miss Orioles players, John Means & Paul Fry, as they guest host at our Brews and O’s event!

Police shoot former officer after chase Authorities say man injured seriously after drawing 9 mm gun in Highlandtown


A former Baltimore police officer who was acquitted of slaying a motorcyclist while off duty in 1983 was shot by Baltimore County police after leading them on a 10-mile chase and pointing a gun at them early yesterday, a Baltimore County police spokesman said.

Daniel J. Shanahan, 41, of the 3300 block of Garnet Road in Parkville was shot in the leg, abdomen and head at Eaton and Gough streets in Highlandtown in the city, said Bill Toohey, a county police spokesman.

Shanahan was listed in critical condition at the John Hopkins Bayview Medical Center after surgery yesterday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

No other injuries were reported in the incident.

Members of Shanahan's family called police late Saturday after he threatened suicide and abruptly left his house, Toohey said. "He was distraught and upset over a personal matter," Toohey said.

County police were on watch for Shanahan's gold Lincoln Continental, which they spotted -- being driven erratically -- north on Harford Road near Interstate 695 about 12: 30 a.m. yesterday, Toohey said.

When police pursued him with their lights and sirens activated, Shanahan took the Beltway east and exited onto southbound Interstate 95, Toohey said.

Two county police cars chased Shanahan until he got off I-95 onto westbound Eastern Avenue in Highlandtown, then turned north on Eaton Street before crashing into a parked car at Gough Street, Toohey said.

Shanahan got out of his car waving a 9 mm handgun, Toohey said. Officers said that after they requested several times that he discard the weapon, Shanahan pointed it at them and two officers simultaneously shot him, Toohey said.

Toohey identified the officers as Cpl. Marion Hall of the Parkville Precinct and Patrolman Cedric Johnson of the DWI Task Force.

City police also responded to the incident but did not fire their weapons, said Agent Robert W. Weinhold, Jr., a spokesman.

Shanahan had been a member of the Baltimore Police Department for 10 years when, while off duty in July 1983, he had a roadside argument with a motorcyclist, who was fatally shot.

Shanahan, who is white, was charged with manslaughter in the death of Booker Lee Lancaster, who was black. After two racially charged trials -- the first ended in mistrial after a jury failed to reach a verdict -- Shanahan was acquitted in November 1984.

A few months later, he was accused of taking $500 stolen in a bank robbery by two acquaintances. He then resigned from the Police Department, pleaded guilty to a charge of receiving stolen bank funds and was sentenced to three years in a federal prison in Texas.

Relatives could not be reached.

Neighbors who asked not to be identified said Shanahan operates a car-detailing shop in Parkville.

He was last seen trick-or-treating with his two children on Halloween, neighbors said.

Pub Date: 11/04/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad