M. Hamilton Whitman Sr., 82, Bethlehem Steel...


M. Hamilton Whitman Sr., 82, Bethlehem Steel official

M. Hamilton Whitman Sr., a retired news media representative for Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant, died Wednesday at Pickersgill retirement community in Towson of complications after surgery. He was 82.

Known as "Fritz," the former Roland Park resident went to work for the company in 1957 and retired in 1978.

Born and raised on Biddle Street, Mr. Whitman was a 1932 graduate of the Gilman School and earned his bachelor's degree from Princeton University in 1936.

He began his business career at Hooper Mills in Baltimore, before going to work in 1938 as a reporter for The Sun.

During World War II, he served in the Navy for five years and was a member of the first naval assault battalion that entered Japan after the surrender in 1945.

He was discharged with the rank of lieutenant and returned to The Sun.

Remembered by colleagues as a warm and quietly efficient man, Mr. Whitman was one of the first editors of The Sunday Sun Magazine when it was established in 1946. He was an assistant city editor of The Evening Sun at the time of his appointment to Bethlehem Steel.

"A gentleman is a man who is never unintentionally rude to anyone, and that was certainly Fritz," said longtime friend David R. Owen of Riderwood.

In his retirement, Mr. Whitman who was an avid gardener, became the first public relations director at the Ladew Topiary Gardens in Harford County, a job he held until retiring a second time in 1995.

L He also was a former president of the Travelers Aid Society.

Services will be at 11 a.m. today at Emmanuel Episcopal Church, 811 Cathedral St.

He is survived by his wife of 55 years, the former Josephine Chatard; three sons, David O. Whitman of Ruxton and William C. Whitman and M. Hamilton Whitman Jr., both of Roland Park; a daughter, Ann H. W. Hurd of Santiago, Chile; and seven grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to Ladew Topiary Gardens, Jarrettsville Pike, Monkton 21111.

Ernestine T. Porter, a bibliophile who corresponded with some of the 20th century's most important literary figures, died Oct. 12 of heart failure at a nursing home in Raleigh, N.C. She was 87.

Mrs. Porter lived on Maywood Avenue in Mount Washington for 45 years, until moving to Raleigh in 1983.

In addition to compiling a library of thousands of books, she corresponded with British novelist E. M. Forster; John Hall Wheelock, a noted Charles Scribner's editor and American poet; and novelist Thomas Wolfe.

Her voluminous correspondence with Wolfe was donated to Duke University by her family.

She was born Ernestine Temple in Washington and educated at a Toledo, Ohio, convent school.

In 1930, she married Sydney W. Porter, an advertising solicitor for the Baltimore Sun for more than 40 years. He died in 1982.

Graveside services will be held at noon today at Druid Ridge Cemetery, Park Heights Avenue and Old Court Road in Pikesville.

She is survived by four sons, Geoffrey A. Porter of Rising Sun, Sydney W. Porter Jr. of Bryn Mawr, Pa., Temple G. Porter of Raleigh and Michael L. Porter of Canton, Conn.; a daughter, Marguerite P. Andrews of Ventura Beach, Calif.; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to Carnivore Preservation Trust, 1940 Hanks Chapel Road, Pittsboro, N.C. 27312.

William Taylor Harper Jr., 71, Boys' Latin teacher

William Taylor Harper Jr., a retired Boys' Latin School history ,, teacher, died Sunday while vacationing at Rehoboth Beach, Del. He was 71.

Mr. Harper, a resident of the Pinehurst section of North Baltimore, joined the faculty of the Lake Avenue private boys school in 1965, and served as chairman of the history department from 1981 to 1983.

"Harps was devoted to the boys and he really tried to bring out the best in each of them in a quiet way," said Dyson Earhardt, Boys' Latin director of development and Mr. Harper's friend for 31 years.

Mr. Harper taught courses in government, United States, European, British and ancient history and was remembered by students and colleagues not only for his passionate love of the subject but his ability to bring it alive.

He also coached football, lacrosse, tennis and golf, and developed a program at the school to educate students about drugs and alcohol.

Born and raised in Baltimore, Mr. Harper was the son of William T. Harper Sr., former president and chairman of the Maryland Casualty Co.

After graduating from the Gilman School in 1944, he earned a bachelor's degree in European history from Dartmouth College 1949.

A memorial service for Mr. Harper will be held at 2 p.m. today at the Boys' Latin School, 822 W. Lake Ave., Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife of eight years, the former Stephany W. Smith; two sisters, Mary Elizabeth Porth of Baltimore and Margaret H. Powers of Akron, Ohio; two stepsons, Christopher W. Lynch of Baltimore and Damian B. Lynch of New York City; and two stepgranddaughters.

Memorial donations may be made to Boys' Latin School.

Sandy White, a longtime employee of W.R. Grace & Co. in Curtis Bay, died Monday of heart failure at Union Memorial Hospital. The Northeast Baltimore resident was 89.

A native of Rocky Mount, N.C., Mr. White moved to Baltimore in 1930 and began work as a laborer at W.R. Grace the next year. He retired from the company in 1972.

Mr. White was an avid football and baseball fan, especially of the old Negro League. His wife, the former Christine Rice, died in 1972.

Services will be at 10 a.m. today at March Funeral Home, 1101 E. North Ave.

He is survived by two daughters, Christine White of Baltimore and Shirley Lewis of Rocky Mount; a sister, Vivian Smith of Rocky Mount; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Donald P. Rhoads, 42, AT&T; computer programmer

Donald P. Rhoads, an AT&T; Corp. computer programmer and former Overlea-Perry Hall resident, died Tuesday of scleroderma the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. He was 42 and lived in Orlando, Fla.

Mr. Rhoads began his career in 1977 at Bell Laboratories in Holmdel, N.J., and had been in Orlando for AT&T; since 1981.

He was born and raised in Overlea and Perry Hall and was a 1972 graduate of Perry Hall High School. He earned his bachelor's degree in 1976 in electrical engineering and a master's degree in 1977, both from Cornell University.

Services will be at 10 a.m. today at Northside Baptist Church, 1100 E. Northern Parkway.

He is survived by his parents, Philip A. Rhoads and Mildred E. Rhoads of Perry Hall; and a sister, Janis A. Carpenter of Grand Rapids, Mich.

Memorial donations may be made to the United Scleroderma Foundation, P.O. Box 399, Watsonville, Calif. 95077; or Northside Baptist Church.

Pub Date: 10/19/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad