25 years -- ago Riot gear, including...


25 years -- ago Riot gear, including gas grenades and grenade launchers, and another unmarked police car for the Westminster police force were discussed as possibilities by a committee of the City Council Monday night. The proposals were among suggestions to "update the police force to give it more effectiveness on the street," according to Councilman Thomas W. Eckard. Also discussed at the meeting was the "goon squad" proposal made recently by Eckard. The squad, which would be made up of off-duty policemen paid by the city, would aim to crack down on unlawful conduct of "goons" or hoodlums in the city. -- Democratic Advocate, Sept. 23, 1971.

50 years ago -- A crowd of 7,000 turned out Wednesday evening for a public wedding and other events at the 46th annual Carroll County Agricultural and Fair Association exhibition at Taneytown. Crowds gathered early for the public wedding spectacle at 8 p.m. on the platform in front of the grandstand. The bride was Miss Mabel Gertrude Miller, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Miller, Westminster, and the bridegroom was Charles Edward Lawrence, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Lawrence, Uniontown. This was the 12th wedding ceremony in the series of public weddings sponsored by the Taneytown fair. -- Democratic Advocate, Sept. 27, 1946.

75 years ago -- In the days of our grandmothers, when manufactured soap was an expensive luxury and hard to obtain, every country housewife made her own soft soap. Enough was made at one time to last the whole year. The light of the moon in March was considered the proper time for the soap-making, and a sassafras stick must be used for the stirring. When the hogs were butchered for the yearly supply of meat, the housewife carefully cleaned and washed the entrails and salted them down until soap-making time. Also, all scraps of meat and rinds were saved to be used, too. When the ashes were removed from the fireplaces during the winter months they were placed in a large hopper built for the purpose and kept carefully covered until about a week before the time for making soap. Then the children would carry water each day and pour over the ashes and start the "hopper to running" to make the lye for the soap. When enough lye had run to make the soap, it was placed in a large kettle over an outdoor fire and boiled until it became strong enough to "cut a feather." Then, the soap grease was put in and the mixture kept at the boiling point and stirred continuously until the lye had eaten all the grease and the mixture had become a thick, soft mass of soap. The soap was placed in barrels and DTC used for all laundry purposes. -- Union Bridge Pilot, Sept. 23, 1921.

100 years ago -- A driving accident occurred on Main Street, this city, opposite Derr's store last Sunday evening, said to have been the result of fast driving. The buggies in collision were those of William Royer, of Cranberry Valley, and C. Ensor. The shaft of Ensor's buggy was broken and the buggy of Royer was completely demolished. Miss Grace Hook, of Baltimore, was riding with Mr. Ensor, and Miss Virgie J. Yingling, daughter of Mr. William R. Yingling, of Cranberry Valley, with Mr. Royer. Mr. Ensor and Miss Hook escaped with but slight bruises and also Mr. Royer, but Miss Yingling was thrown out violently to the ground. Her left arm was broken in two places, and she received severe bruises about the head and face. The horse also kicked her in the side, breaking a rib and rupturing several blood vessels near the lungs. She was taken into the residence of Mr. Theo. Derr, where she was attended by Drs. Wells and Hering. Later, she was taken to her home, and her condition on Wednesday was said to be serious. -- Democratic Advocate, Sept. 26, 1896.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad