Senior forward Ari Edelman scored twice in the second half as Loyola defeated Iona College, 3-1, yesterday in men's soccer at the 21st annual Loyola Soccer Classic.
Loyola plays Siena today.
Edelman's first goal came in the 69th minute and broke a 1-1 tie. Edelman closed out the scoring with 16: 10 left in the game to lift the Greyhounds (3-2-2, 1-0) to their fourth straight win.
J. T. Dorsey gave Loyola a 1-0 lead at intermission with a goal in the 37th minute, before Tom Garritano of the Gaels (0-9, 0-1) tied the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference game with an unassisted goal in the second half.
David Gouldstone gave the Knights a 1-0 lead in the 16th minute.
* Washington & Lee 6, Goucher 2: Brent Christ, a reserve forward, recorded two goals and an assist and freshman Jamie Parker scored twice as the Generals (4-1) beat the Gophers (5-3).
* Salisbury State 4, Frostburg State 1: Matt Tirschman had a goal and two assists to lead the Seagulls (3-3-2) over the Bobcats (4-2).
* UMBC 1, Charleston Southern 0: Freshman midfielder Jessaka Phoebus scored the game's only goal at 59: 21 and the host Retrievers (7-2, 2-1) held on for a Big South win over the Buccaneers (6-2, 1-1).
UMBC's Mandy Robbins recorded her fifth shutout of the season.
The Retrievers outshot the Buccaneers 9-7 and stopped Charleston Southern's six-game winning streak.
* Towson State 6, Youngstown 0: Six players scored, and Shelley Seivert had four assists as the host Tigers (7-2) defeated the Penguins.
Towson goalkeeper Megan Lumsden posted her fourth shutout of the season.
* Johns Hopkins 1, Muhlenberg 0: Kerrie Cathcart's second-half goal led the Blue Jays over visiting Muhlenberg.
* Mount St. Mary's 3, Robert Morris 0: The Mountaineers (4-3, 2-0) got first-half goals from Jody Pierce, Tammy Palmer and Amanda Gilbert on the way to a Northeast Conference win.
* Mary Washington 1, Salisbury State 0: Ann Wenthe scored the game's only goal 12 minutes into the first half as host Mary Washington (7-2-1, 3-0) defeated Salisbury State (6-2, 1-1) in a Capital Athletic Conference game.
* Washington College 6, Muhlenberg 2: Erin Gillin and Marsha McGee each scored two goals as the Shorewomen (7-1-0) won their fifth straight.
Washington College jumped to a 2-0 lead in the game's first five minutes with goals from Gillin and Marsha Pare.
Pub Date: 9/29/96