Fire displaces 15 as man dozes while sterilizing baby bottles


A fire that began when an Ellicott City man fell asleep early Friday while sterilizing baby bottles displaced 15 people from the Town & Country Apartments and sent a firefighter to the hospital with minor injuries, fire officials said.

Young Jin Yun, 35, fell asleep about 1 a.m. Friday while the bottles were on the stove in his apartment in the 8700 block of Town & Country Blvd., said Deputy State Fire Marshal Ted Meminger.

The man awakened to an apartment filled with smoke and left with his wife and 9-month-old daughter. Another occupant called the Fire Department at 1: 21 a.m., Meminger said.

Howard County firefighter James Partridge was treated at Howard County General Hospital for second-degree burns to his knee and was released Friday, said fire Lt. Chris Cangemi.

The 12 adults and three children who were evacuated from six apartments were not injured.

The fire caused $50,000 damage to apartment contents and $200,000 structural damage, Meminger said. The fire was ruled accidental.

Officials at Town & Country Management Co. declined to comment.

Pub Date: 9/09/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad