Anna Grace Hendrickson, 76, longtime activist


Gerard Vincent Neale: An obituary in yesterday's editions of The Sun gave an incorrect date for a Mass of resurrection being offered for Gerard Vincent Neale, a social worker and a tenor who sang with the Baltimore Municipal Opera Company. The Mass will be offered at 11 a.m. Saturday.

The Sun regrets the error.

Anna Grace Hendrickson, a United Methodist churchwoman and longtime activist for social causes, died Thursday of cancer at a hospital in Blacksburg, Va. She was 76.

Mrs. Hendrickson, who had lived in Woodensburg in western Baltimore County, had recently gone to live with a daughter in Newport, Va.

She was a longtime member of Glyndon United Methodist Church, where she was a lay reader and served on nearly every church committee and on the board of trustees.

She also held office at the local, district and conference levels of United Methodist Women, using those forums to advocate ecumenical and humanitarian ministries.

Mrs. Hendrickson was a charter member of the Methodist Federation of Social Action of the Baltimore-Washington Conference and wrote articles for the United Methodist Reporter on the need to eradicate injustice.

She was a former president of the Board of Church and Society of the Baltimore-Washington Annual Conference of the church, which honored her with its Swords Into Plowshares award in recognition of a lifetime of activism.

During the Vietnam War era, Mrs. Hendrickson organized a draft counseling service, marched in anti-war protests and was active in the Reisterstown Community Crisis Center, which aids the needy.

Her sister, Margaret Wooden, who had lived next door to her in Woodensburg and shared her views, said Mrs. Hendrickson's social conscience was aroused by teachers at Randolph-Macon Woman's College in Lynchburg, Va., and Goucher College.

"People thought we were crackpots, and our husbands weren't too thrilled at first about our activities and liberal causes, but we eventually succeeded in converting them," said Mrs. Wooden, who lives at the Methodist Home in Gaithersburg.

The Rev. J. Philip Wogaman of Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington, said Mrs. Hendrickson "was an enormously valuable leader in the life of the church and in getting the church to relate its gospel to social issues and problems.

"She was greatly respected. People respected her who didn't always agree with her. In a time of so much mean-spiritedness over controversial public issues, she was always able to be reasonable in the way she dealt with these matters. There is a lot of 'grace' there," Dr. Wogaman said.

Born and raised in West Baltimore, the former Anna Grace Manger was a 1938 graduate of Stratford Hall School in Danville, Va. In 1941, she married Ole Hendrickson Sr., who died in 1984.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Sept. 9 at Glyndon United Methodist Church, 4731 Butler Road.

Other survivors include include a son, Ole Hendrickson Jr. of Pembroke, Ontario; two daughters, Susan Jane Hendrickson of Woodensburg and Erica Hendrickson Jones of Newport, Va.; a brother, C. Philip Manger of Towson; and a granddaughter.

Gerard Vincent Neale, 39, opera tenor, social worker

Gerard Vincent Neale, a social worker and a tenor who sang with the Baltimore Municipal Opera Company, died Sunday of complications from AIDS at the Stella Maris Hospice at Mercy Medical Center. He was 39.

He had worked at the Baltimore Department of Social Services for the past two years. Earlier, he worked in the medical and insurance industries.

The Baltimore native earned a bachelor's degree from Morehouse College in Atlanta.

A Mass of resurrection will be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. Edward Roman Catholic Church, Poplar Grove and Prospect streets, where he sang in the choir.

He is survived by his parents, Joseph Neale Sr. and Rita Neale of Baltimore; four brothers, Michael Neale and John Neale of

Baltimore, Joseph Neale Jr. of Riverside, Calif., and Samuel Neale of Tennessee; five sisters, Julia N. Montgomery, Catherine F. Neale, Rita A. Thomas-El, Helena M. Bunch and Michele A. Killette, all of Baltimore; and many nieces and nephews.

Sister Regina Marie, 77, mathematics teacher

Sister Regina Marie Albert, S.S.N.D., a mathematics teacher, died Wednesday of complications from a stroke at Maria Health Center at Villa Asumpta, the motherhouse of the School Sisters of Notre Dame, where she had lived since 1992. She was 77.

The former Dolores Albert had been a member of the religious order since 1941. The Baltimore native, who professed her vows in 1943, earned a bachelor's degree from Loyola College in 1941 and a master's degree from Fordham University in 1948.

She taught math at the Institute of Notre Dame from 1971 until she retired in 1988, ending a 45-year teaching career that began in Fort Lee, N.J.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today in the chapel at Villa Asumpta, 6401 N. Charles St.

She is survived by several nieces and nephews.

Henry E. Lehr, 68, sales executive

Henry E. Lehr, a retired Procter & Gamble sales executive, died Wednesday of cancer at his home in Lutherville. He was 68.

He joined Procter & Gamble in 1948 and worked in the Southeast before coming to Baltimore 32 years ago. He established the paper products sales division for the mid-Atlantic region. He retired in 1986.

Born in York County, Pa., he earned a bachelor's degree from Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pa., in 1948. He was a member of the college's alumni association, the Dickinson Club and Phi Delta Theta Alumni Association, which awarded him its Golden Legion Award this year.

Services will be at noon today at the Bermudian Church of the Brethren in Davidsburg, Pa.

He is survived by his wife of 47 years, the former Carolyn Mary Kaimer; a son, M. Philip Lehr of Lutherville; two daughters, Cynthia Lehr Suleman of Greenwich, Conn., and Mary Catherine Lehr Rothschild of Dallas; a brother, Robert P. Lehr of Lancaster, Pa.; and four grandchildren.

Elizabeth White, a retired registered nurse, died Tuesday of cancer at a nursing home in Bel Air. She was 68 and lived in Fallston.

She had been head nurse for 27 years at the Osler 5 clinical research unit at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She retired from Hopkins in 1987, then worked until 1991 for Dr. W. Gordon Walker, the unit's director.

She was born Elizabeth Brosius in Shamokin, Pa., graduated from Western High School in Baltimore and earned a nursing degree at Church Hospital.

In 1950, she and John H. Barnes were married. He died in 1970.

She was a member of Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Main Street and Broadway in Bel Air, where a memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. today.

She is survived by her husband of 20 years, Thomas D. White; two stepsons, David White of Parkville and Timothy White of Kingsville; a stepdaughter, Janice M. Mink of Newark, Del.; and four grandchildren.

William Ernest Welsh, 75, parole agency administrator

William Ernest Welsh, a retired administrator with the Maryland Division of Parole and Probation, died of lung cancer Wednesday at Veterans Affairs Medical Center at Perry Point. He was 75 and lived in Perry Hall.

Born in Baltimore, he graduated from City College in 1939.

After serving as a sergeant in the Army in the South Pacific during World War II, he joined the Baltimore Police Department. After nine years as a police officer, he went to work at the parole and probation agency in 1956 and retired in 1976.

Services were held Monday. He is survived by his wife of 54 years, the former Doris Eddins; a daughter, Pauline Welsh Frantz of Joppa; and two grandsons.

Dr. Robert Castadot, an obstetrician and gynecologist who also was an international consultant on world health issues, died Aug. 21 of cancer at his home in Roland Park. He was 62.

The native of Liege, Belgium, retired in 1995 from the World Bank, where he had been a senior health specialist since 1985. Previously he was chief of obstetrics and gynecology at the old Baltimore City Hospitals and associate director of the Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics.

He earned a medical degree from the University of Belgium in 1958 and a year later came to the United States on a Fulbright Scholarship. He completed an internship and residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Johns Hopkins Hospital and earned a master's degree in public health from Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health in 1968.

Services were held Monday. He is survived by his wife of 20 years, Jackalyn Noller; a son, Marc F. H. Castadot, and two daughters, Muriel A. Castadot Palmer and Martine A. Castadot Midulla, all of New York City; and two grandchildren.

Howard M. Margolin, 67, auto parts salesman

Howard M. Margolin, a retired auto parts salesman and a member of the Baltimore Police Auxiliary, died Aug. 12 of lung cancer at his Northwest Baltimore home. He was 67.

He began his career in the auto supply business in the late 1950s and retired in 1994. For the past 16 years, he had been a captain in the Baltimore Police Auxiliary.

Earlier, he had worked at Margolin's Restaurant, a family business at Liberty and Redwood streets, and was a member of the National Guard's 175th Infantry Division for 18 years.

Services for the Baltimore native, who was a 1947 graduate of Forest Park High School, were held Aug. 14.

Survivors include his wife of 14 years, the former Irene Adler Silverman; a son, Scott Margolin of Boston; a daughter, Jamie Politzer of Baltimore; a sister, Esther Ruth Knopfmacher of Coral Springs, Fla.; two stepsons, Jeffrey Silverman of Baltimore and Martin Silverman of Kissimmee, Fla.; a stepdaughter, Robin Merrell of Westminster; and two granddaughters.

Janice K. Sapperstein, 67, a longtime Pikesville resident and a founder of the Save-A-Heart Foundation, died Aug. 6 of complications of lung disease at Brightwood Retirement Community in Lutherville.

She was a trustee and treasurer of the foundation, which she and her husband, Bernard P. Sapperstein, founded in 1971. The foundation has raised millions of dollars for cardiac-care projects.

The former Janice Kantor, who was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., was a member of Beth Tfiloh Congregation and was active in Jewish philanthropic organizations.

Services were held Aug. 8. Her husband, whom she married in 1947, died in 1993. She is survived by two daughters, Marsha Bornfield of Baltimore and Rochelle Jacobs of Yardley, Pa., and five grandchildren.

Pub Date: 8/31/96

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad