1. Dallas: Still the best if it ever get its team on the field.
2. San Francisco: The 49ers have everything but a running back.
3. Green Bay: The Packers are the popular choice this year.
4. Buffalo: This is a last-hurrah year for the Bills' old guard.
5. Pittsburgh: The quarterback is the big question mark.
6. Kansas City: The Chiefs will be the regular-season champions.
7. Detroit: Lions would be even better with a real coach.
8. Atlanta: Jeff George is playing for a big contract.
9. New England: Bill Parcells will go out a winner.
10. San Diego: Bobby Ross changed the team's attitude.
12. Washington: Terry Allen, not Gus Frerotte, will carry Redskins.
13. Philadelphia: The lack of talent catches up with Ray Rhodes.
14. Indianapolis: The Colts should have kept Ted Marchibroda.
15. Cincinnati: Ki-Jana Carter, Garrison Hearst boost running game.
16. Miami: Jimmy Johnson no longer has Emmitt Smith.
17. Ravens: Overrated in Cleveland, underrated in Baltimore.
18. Chicago: Bryan Cox can't make that much difference.
19. Tampa Bay: The Bucs will improve under Tony Dungy.
20. Houston: The Oilers will find it tough being a lame-duck team.
21. St. Louis: Steve Walsh isn't the answer at quarterback.
22. New Orleans: Jim Everett isn't, either.
23. Oakland: Al Davis has lost his touch.
24. Seattle: It's time for Rick Mirer to step up.
25. New York Jets: The Jets prove you can't buy a winner.
26. New York Giants: This is Dan Reeves' swan song.
27. Minnesota: Warren Moon will start showing his age.
28. Arizona: The Cardinals always lose.
29. Carolina: Still an expansion team.
30. Jacksonville: See above.
Pub Date: 8/30/96