Capital Gazette wins special Pulitzer Prize citation for coverage of newsroom shooting that killed five

Cigarette causes fire under deck at house

THE BALTIMORE SUN

A discarded cigarette ignited a wood pile underneath a deck yesterday, starting a fire that caused $5,000 in damage at a Hampstead house, the state fire marshal said.

The fire occurred about 3: 45 p.m. at the home of Wayne and Karen Butcher in the 1600 block of St. Paul St.

A neighbor, Wally Boston, spotted the fire and used a garden hose to nearly extinguish it before 20 firefighters from Hampstead, Manchester, Reese and Arcadia in Baltimore County arrived, fire authorities said.

Authorities did not identify the smoker.

Hampstead man charged in mailbox burnings

A Hampstead man was arrested yesterday in the burning of three mailboxes and posts in Westminster in February, court records show.

Gregory S. Handley, 18, of the 2100 block of Celeste Court was being held at the Carroll County Detention Center in lieu of $10,000 bond. He was charged by state fire marshals on malicious burning and malicious destruction charges, court records show.

Fire marshals allege that Handley conspired with three other youths to destroy mailboxes in the 400 block of Dutrow Road in Westminster on Feb. 12.

Pub Date: 8/22/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
66°