Turner held out of practice with fever Flu symptoms bug squad at Westminster camp

Injuries are inevitable in training camp. Now, with Saturday's preseason opener against the Philadelphia Eagles fast approaching, the Ravens are battling a flu bug.

Veteran free safety Eric Turner was a casualty yesterday, when he missed his first practice.


"Eric has a fever, so we thought it would be best to send him home and rest him," said coach Ted Marchibroda, who also has been fighting flu-like symptoms lately.

Strong safety Stevon Moore, who has not missed a practice, said he managed to overcome the same symptoms.


"We've got a little bug going around," Moore said. "I had it. [Cornerback] Issac Booth still has it. Eric's got it now."

Turning up the tempo

Moore also is feeling that familiar sense of urgency that comes as game day draws near. Going into his eighth year, Moore, 5 feet 11, 210 pounds, has been with this team since he signed as a Plan B free agent with Cleveland in 1992. Since the beginning of the 1993 season, Moore has started every game and has averaged nine tackles over that span.

"This is the time I turn my practice tempo up a notch. When you face an opponent, you have to turn it up two or three notches," Moore said. "You can't approach this game like a preseason game that doesn't count. This is the time to go out there and get better to prepare yourself for the big dance. This is another step you take toward winning your division."

Injury update

Linebacker Mike Croel, defensive end Rob Burnett and tight ends Harold Bishop and Frank Hartley were among those who sat out yesterday with minor ailments.

Second-year defensive lineman Mike Frederick was practicing lightly in pads in the afternoon. Although the hamstring he pulled on the first day of practice has not healed completely and Frederick did not participate in the entire workout, he is closer to getting the work he needs at right tackle. Frederick, 6-5, 280, has been moved inside from end.

"I'm not used to this," said Frederick, who had an injury-free career at Virginia and tried practicing lightly on Friday before re-aggravating his injury. "I set myself back another day. I was bugging them to let me practice. I just couldn't take it anymore, watching everybody else progressing while I'm falling behind.


"It wasn't too smart, but I don't claim to be the smartest person on the face of the earth. But if you're not out there progressing, you're out of a job in this business."

Solo practice is safer

Veteran defensive end Anthony Pleasant, who missed the first few days of practice with a strained chest muscle, spent an extra 20 minutes fine-tuning his pass rushing moves with defensive line coach Jacob Burney yesterday.

Maybe it was best that Pleasant worked without a live opponent. Two days ago, he was working on the side with backup offensive tackle Herman Arvie, when he accidentally broke Arvie's nose with his elbow. Neither player was wearing a helmet. Arvie did not practice yesterday.

"Accidents happen. I felt bad that it happened that way," Pleasant said. "I tried a move where I bring my arm over, and his nose happened to be there."

Pub Date: 7/30/96