Max Baum, 83, family physicianAt 83, Dr....


Max Baum, 83, family physician

At 83, Dr. Max Baum still made house calls and opened his family practice daily. He worked a full schedule at his Eastern Avenue office the day before he died.

"He never wanted to retire," said Dr. Barbara E. Baum, his daughter. "He always said that he wanted to work his whole life, and that is what he did. He worked Thursday and died late that night."

Dr. Baum died at his Pikesville home of an undetermined cause.

For 56 years, he cared for generations of East Baltimore families. "He often delivered the babies of babies he had delivered," his daughter said.

Born in Baltimore, he graduated from City College, the Johns Hopkins University and the University of Maryland Medical School.

After an internship at Wilmington General Hospital in Delaware and a residency at Sydenham Hospital (now Montebello Rehabilitation Hospital) in Baltimore, he established a practice on Milton Avenue in 1940. He opened a second office near Eastpoint several years later.

He was long affiliated with Harbor Hospital Center, which as South Baltimore General Hospital gave him its trustee award in 1987. Next month, the hospital will dedicate its new Dr. Max and Rosalie Baum Medical Conference Center, which the doctor helped plan.

After raising their two children, Mrs. Baum, the former Rosalie Sugar, became the receptionist in her husband's practice. The couple had been married 50 years when she died in 1992.

Both of their children are in the medical profession. "He encouraged us to go into medicine," Barbara Baum said. "It was source of great pleasure to him."

Dr. Baum was a longtime member of Beth Jacob Congregation in Pikesville and the Nathan Hackerman Lodge of B'nai B'rith. An avid golfer, he won several championships from Bonnie View Country Club.

Services will be at 1 p.m. todayat Sol Levinson Funeral Home, 8900 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville.

In addition to his daughter, survivors include a son, Dr. Richard A. Baum of Baltimore; and three granddaughters.

Tilghman Beverly Price, a retired civilian Defense Department employee and a veteran of World War II and the Korean War, died July 10 of colitis at his Annapolis home. He was 84.

Mr. Price retired in 1972 after 29 years with the agency that audits defense contracts.

Born in Easton, Mr. Price was raised in Baltimore and graduated from City College. He attended St. John's College in Annapolis before going to work during the 1930s for Baltimore's public relief agency.

He enlisted in the Army in 1942 and, after graduating from officer training school. was assigned to Gen. George S. Patton's 3rd Army as a tank commander. At war's end, he was assigned to Berlin, where he served in the postwar administration of the city.

Called back to active duty during the Korean War, Mr. Price served in Pusan, Korea, from 1950 to 1952, when he was discharged as a captain.

He and the former Anne Maloney were married for more than 40 years. She died in 1986.

Services were held Monday for Mr. Price, who is survived by a sister, Lynne D. Calhoun of Severna Park; and a nephew, Lawrence P. Earle of Alexandria, Va.

Elijah McMillion, 58, General Electric supervisor

Elijah McMillion, a retired General Electric Corp. supervisor, died July 13 of lung cancer at the Veterans Medical Center on Greene Street. He was 58 and a resident of Northwest Baltimore.

Known as "Mack," Mr. McMillion retired in 1990 from General Electric's Columbia plant, where he had worked for 20 years. Earlier, he worked for U.S. Gypsum Co., with one of his jobs being a route man for Good Humor.

"He loved ice cream and people," said his daughter, Deborah McMillion of Catonsville, who also admired her father's skill in the kitchen.

"He liked cooking special breakfasts, and two of his specialties were pancakes and oyster fritters, which he served with scrambled eggs," Ms. McMillion said. "He'd take a pancake flip it until it nearly hit the ceiling, and then he'd spin around and catch it in the pan. We loved that trick."

He was born and raised in Baltimore and graduated in 1955 from Douglass High School. He enlisted in the Army where he served until being discharged in the late 1950s.

He was a member of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church and its usher board. He also was a Mason and Shriner.

Services were held Thursday.

Other survivors include his wife of 40 years, the former Barbara White; two sons, Darnell McMillion of Severna Park, and Brian McMillion of Baltimore; two brothers, Harry McMillion of Jessup, and Otis McMillion of Avenel, N.J.; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Pub Date: 7/21/96

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad