Katherine B. Goodwin, 83, executive secretaryKatherine Boyce...


Katherine B. Goodwin, 83, executive secretary

Katherine Boyce Goodwin, a former executive secretary, died of heart failure Wednesday at her Roland Park home. She was 83.

She was raised on the Kauffman homestead on York Road in northern Baltimore County, which her forebears had purchased in 1849.

Mrs. Goodwin graduated from the former Sparks High School in 1930 and Strayer Business College in 1932, the same year she moved to Baltimore.

In the 1930s, she was a secretary for the Sun Life insurance company. During World War II, Mrs. Goodwin was executive secretary to the president of Bethlehem Steel Corp.

In 1943, the former Katherine Kauffman married William G. Boyce Jr. and became a full-time homemaker until 1961, when she began working again. The couple divorced in 1962. Mr. Boyce has since died.

In the 1960s, Mrs. Goodwin was assistant director of volunteer services at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and later she was executive secretary for the Baltimore Council on Alcoholism, where she established 30 Al-Anon groups, for family and friends of alcoholics.

She married William H. B. Goodwin in 1971.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10: 30 a.m. tomorrowat the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen.

Survivors other than her husband are two sons, James S. Boyce of Quantico, Va., and Thomas T. Boyce of Guilford; a stepson, William G. Boyce III of White Hall; three sisters, Jesse K. Wallace and Charlotte K. Railey, both of Baltimore, and Margaret K. Murray of Hampstead; and six grandchildren.

G. 'Fred' Sheckells Jr., 55, longtime lacrosse referee

Gordon Frederick "Fred" Sheckells Jr., a longtime lacrosse referee for college and high school games, died June 21 of a heart attack while jogging near his Fallston home. He was 55.

The Baltimore native graduated in 1959 from Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, where he played midfielder for three years. He attended the Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., for two years, playing lacrosse there.

He then attended Towson State University, leaving after 18 months. But he eventually returned to complete his course work and received his degree this year. Mr. Sheckells had planned to seek a full-time position as a schoolteacher, said his brother, Thomas Sheckells of Bethesda.

He played for two lacrosse club teams, Carling's and Baltimore Lacrosse Club, from 1964 to 1970.

His family lived in the Greenmount Avenue corridor near 39th Street for many years.

In 1968, Mr. Sheckells married Betty Huesterin, and they moved to Fallston four years later.

For years, Mr. Sheckells was a life and casualty agent for several insurance companies. Ten years ago, he became a Harford County substitute teacher and lacrosse coach.

"As a college official, he was renowned for keeping things calm in the heat of a game. As a youth coach, he had a way of dealing with the kids of today," said Thomas Sheckells.

From 1966 to 1992, Mr. Sheckells was a high school and National Collegiate Athletic Association college lacrosse referee, officiating at two NCAA lacrosse finals in the 1970s, including the Johns Hopkins University-Cornell University game in 1978 at Charlottesville, Va.

In 1982, he received the Joseph "Frenchy" Julian award for outstanding officiating, which is presented annually by the National Intercollegiate Lacrosse Officials Association.

He was selected to officiate at the world lacrosse games in England in 1978 and at Hopkins in 1982.

He was chief referee for the Maryland Secondary Public Schools Association for five years, ending in 1994. In that post, he assigned officials for the boys' lacrosse state championship tournament.

He was chairman of Fallston Recreation Council, which oversees recreational games, for two years, and spent 15 years coaching soccer and lacrosse and assigning referees for that league.

For the past eight years, he coached girls' soccer and boys' lacrosse at Fallston High School.

Memorial services were held June 25. The family requests that memorial contributions be made to a scholar-athlete college scholarship fund established in Mr. Sheckells' name at Fallston High School.

Survivors include two other sons, Gordon "Fred" Sheckells III and Thomas H. Sheckells, both of Fallston; and a sister, Penny Pryor of Richmond, Va.

Cassie M. Dorsey, 61, owned uniform store

Cassie M. Dorsey, co-owner of a Catonsville uniform store, died Monday of lung cancer at her Edmondson Village home. She was 61.

A native of Manning, S.C., Ms. Dorsey attended public schools there before moving to Baltimore at age 18. Over the years, she worked at several retail stores, including the former Center Uniforms in the Ingleside Shopping Center, 5638 Baltimore National Pike, where she was store manager.

Three years ago, she and a friend, Earl T. Matthews, purchased Center Uniforms, changing the name to A-1 Uniform Center Inc. The store sells uniforms for a variety of professions and church vestments.

In 1967, she married Donald C. Dorsey, who died in 1988. They had no children.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Perkins Square Baptist Church, 2500 Edmondson Ave.

Survivors include three brothers, Nathaniel Brunson, John Ragin and Ira Ragin of Conway, S.C.; five sisters, Crealor Williams, fTC Evelyn Davis and Shirley J. Levi of Columbia, S.C., Elma Roole of Port St. Lucie, Fla., and Gloria M. Alford of Conway.

Charles Rasmussen, 78, machinist, avid Democrat

Charles W. Rasmussen Jr., a retired steel worker who was active in Baltimore County Democratic politics for more than half a century, died Monday of heart failure at Franklin Square Hospital Center. The Essex resident was 78.

Mr. Rasmussen retired in 1974 from Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant, where he had worked as a shipyard machinist for 39 years.

While working in the busy shipyard during the day, Mr. Rasmussen turned to politics in the evenings and on weekends.

He was a member of the Young Men's Democratic Club, the 15th District Democratic Club, Riverside Democratic Club and the Bird River Democratic Club.

"He loved politics on the grass-roots level," said his son, former Baltimore County Executive Dennis F. Rasmussen of Kingsville.

"He was a very loyal individual who had allegiance for many years to former Sen. James A. Pine," Mr. Rasmussen said. "They were friends for years."

Charles Rasmussen was appointed liquor inspector in 1969 and chief amusement and license inspector for Baltimore County in 1975, a position he held until 1980.

"His advice to me when I was elected county executive was to be honest, accessible and never lose sight of why you were elected and who elected you," said the former county executive, who grew up working with his father on political campaigns.

In his only bid for public office in 1966, Mr. Rasmussen ran for the House of Delegates and lost by only 60 votes, his son said.

"He was actually more comfortable being in the background rather than running for public office," the son said.

In addition to his memberships in political clubs, the elder Mr. Rasmussen enjoyed playing baseball for the Wieland Social Club, which he did until he was well into his 50s.

Born in Highlandtown, he moved with his family to Essex in 1925 and was educated in county schools.

He was a member of St. John's Lutheran Church in Essex.

Services are set for 9: 30 a.m. today at the Connelly Funeral Home, 300 Mace Ave., Essex.

Mr. Rasmussen is survived by his wife of 57 years, the former M. Elizabeth Wunder; three other sons, C. Richard Rasmussen and Walter J. Rasmussen, both of Essex, and Charles W. Rasmussen III of Forest Hill; a brother, Walter J. Rasmussen of Sparks; a sister, Lillian Osment of Essex; 10 grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Memorial donations may be made to a favorite charity. Charles T. Owen, a retired division sales manager for Embassy Dairy, died Wednesday at Anne Arundel Medical Center of heart failure. He was 68.

A Baltimore native, he graduated from Baltimore Polytechnic Institute and the University of Baltimore. Mr. Owen moved to Edgewater in 1956.

Services will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at John M. Taylor Funeral Home, 147 Duke of Gloucester St. in Annapolis.

He is survived by his wife, Gladys Owen, of Edgewater; two sons, Patrick Owen of Annapolis and Michael Owen of Longwood, Fla.; three daughters, Mary Rausch and Teresa Sutherland of Annapolis and Jean Hall of Virginia Beach, Va.; one stepson, Gary Stallings of Lexington Park; and nine grandchildren.

Pub Date: 7/05/96

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad