Kendall Burrows, 9, battled blood disorderKendall Burrows,...


Kendall Burrows, 9, battled blood disorder

Kendall Burrows, a third-grader from Timonium whose long fight against a rare autoimmune blood disorder rallied thousands of people to donate blood -- many of them for the first time -- died Friday at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She was 9.

"She became a spokesperson almost, for the Red Cross," said her father, Dave Burrows. "In a very short time, her name got out there and got people donating blood. She touched a lot of hearts and got a lot of people thinking."

Kendall was born at Greater Baltimore Medical Center and became ill at 3. But "between bouts of sickness," her father said, "she did everything a normal kid would do. She didn't like people asking how she was. She was always fine."

She attended Pot Spring Elementary School and was a year-round athlete.

She played soccer with the Cockeysville Recreation Council, competed with the Padonia Park Club's dive team, qualifying for championship meets in 1994 and 1995, and enjoyed snow and water skiing. She also studied tap and jazz dancing through the Lutherville Recreation Council.

At school, "Everybody wanted to be her friend," Kendall's mother, Debi, said. "She was one of those children who radiated such warmth. She was the little mother hen type and wanted to take care of everybody else."

Kendall collected stuffed animals and often spoke of becoming a veterinarian.

In addition to her parents, Kendall is survived by a brother, Ryan, 15; a sister Kelly, 17; and her grandparents, Charles F. and Florence Burrows, of Timonium, and Ralph C. Jones of Bradenton, Fla.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Towson Presbyterian Church, 400 W. Chesapeake Ave., Towson.

The family suggests donations to the Johns Hopkins Pediatric Hematology Department, c/o Dr. George Dover, 1620 McElderry St., Baltimore 21205, or to the Hopkins Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, 600 N. Wolfe St., Baltimore 21287. Theodore Joseph Wilson, a caterer who befriended the sisters of the Oblate Order of Providence and worked for the beatification of their founder, died Wednesday at Maryland General Hospital after a stroke. He was 58.

"He was a very kind and gentle person, who seemed to love all the sisters," said Sister Mary Alice Chineworth, a spokeswoman for the Roman Catholic sisters in Catonsville. "We felt he was truly a member of the order."

Born in Baltimore, Mr. Wilson attended St. Pius V School on Harlem Avenue, where the teachers were Oblate sisters.

"He became enamored of the order because of the sisters who taught him," Sister Mary Alice said. "It was a relationship that began when he was a little fellow in the first grade. His first-grade teacher is still here, Sister Emily."

After graduating from vocational school in Baltimore in 1953, Mr. Wilson entered the Josephite order in Washington. He spent his postulancy and novitiate at the Josephite training center in Newburgh, N.Y., and made his first promises as a Josephite brother in 1955.

Mr. Wilson was assigned to teach at St. Joseph Industrial School in Clayton, Del. In 1957, he withdrew from the Society of St. Joseph and returned to Baltimore. He later became a chef and began a catering business, which he operated until he became disabled in 1990.

From 1960, Mr. Wilson devoted much of his time to the Oblate sisters, the teaching order founded by Mary Lange in Baltimore in 1829. In 1978, he began volunteering with the Mother Mary Lange Guild, and conducted years of historical research to win her beatification, the first step toward sainthood.

"Teddy really initiated that effort," Sister Mary Alice said.

Hospitalized with a heart condition in 1976, he prayed to Mother Lange and held a prayer book associated with her. "In two weeks, he walked out of the hospital and he was in good condition," she said.

His recovery was never authenticated by the church as a miracle, "but he always considered it a personal miracle," Sister Mary Alice said.

He was hospitalized again in 1978 and recovered after prayers to Mother Lange. He remained in good health until shortly before his death.

Mr. Wilson also founded the Willing Workers of the Oblate Sisters, which held two fund-raising events each year, and over the years raised more than $100,000 for the order.

A Christian wake will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. Pius V Church, Edmondson Avenue and Schroeder Street in Baltimore, followed at 11 a.m. by a Mass of resurrection.

Mr. Wilson is survived by his mother, Bessie Dameron of Baltimore; two sisters, Salome Dameron Stearns and Dionysia Dameron, both of Baltimore; and several nieces and nephews.

Robert A. Leavitt, 73, retail clothing salesman

Robert A. Leavitt, a retail clothing salesman in Baltimore who did leather work, died of stroke complications May 13 in Santa Barbara, Calif. He was 73.

Born in New York City and raised in Philadelphia, he attended the University of Pennsylvania. He served in the Army near the end of World War II and was sent to Germany and Japan before his 1946 discharge with the rank of staff sergeant.

He had sales positions with a number of food and clothing businesses in Connecticut and Western Maryland, and, in the mid-1970s, moved to Baltimore and became a salesman for Tyler's Country Clothes stores. He also did leather work for other area stores and tailor shops.

After moving to Maryland, he met and married Anita Gorn Yaffe, his second wife. They lived in the Pikesville area until Mrs. Leavitt's death in 1992. Mr. Leavitt retired in 1993 because of illness and moved to California to be near a son.

He is survived by three daughters, Louise Leavitt Mahlke of Poughquag, N.Y., Patricia Leavitt of Afton, Va., and Pamela Matsumoto of Maui, Hawaii; two sons, Robert Jr. of Santa Barbara and Peter Leavitt of Somerville, Mass.; a stepson, Michael Yaffe of Somerville; and six grandchildren.

More obituaries on next page

Pub Date: 6/03/96

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad