The 1996 racing season starts this weekend. By the end of March, local motor sports will be in full swing. Here is a brief summary of oval tracks and drag strips where many Carroll countians compete every week.
* The Hagerstown Speedway will begin its 49th season today at 2 p.m. with a double-header program of super sprints and late models. Hagerstown races every Saturday night April through August with late models, sportsman, street stocks and four-cylinder pure stocks. Other events include AMA motorcycles, monster trucks and World of Outlaws. Hagerstown has added a new 2,500-seat grandstand with a handicap section. Track phone: (301) 582-0640.
* The Lincoln Speedway in Hanover, Pa., was scheduled to open yesterday weather permitting. Lincoln will feature the super sprints, semi-lates and thundercars every Saturday through September. Lincoln will race Saturday afternoons before switching to its regular 7:30 p.m. starting time on March 23. New clay has been added during the off-season. Track phone (717) 624-2765.
* The Mason-Dixon Dragway in Hagerstown will open today and race every Saturday and Sunday afternoon through November. There will be special events on holiday weekends. The Washington County dragway has added 3,000 feet of new pit road and six new staging lanes. Track phone: (301) 791-5193.
* Next Sunday, Williams Grove Speedway in Mechanicsburg, Pa., will open its season with super sprints. The Grove will race Sunday afternoons until April when it will switch to its regular Friday night schedule. This year, the World of Outlaws will be televised live on May 25 on TNN. Track phone: (717) 697-5000.
* The Trail-Way Speedway near Hanover, Pa., will open next Sunday. Micro-sprints, thundercars, street stocks and four-cylinder stocks will be featured on Sunday afternoons before switching to Friday nights in April. Two-wheel and four-wheel motor-cross racing is the main attraction every Saturday night beginning in April. Track phone: (717) 359-4310.
* March 10 will be the opener for 75-80 Dragway in Monrovia. The local dragway is considered the home track for hundreds of Carroll County drivers. There will be racing at 75-80 every Saturday/Sunday through Nov. 17. Every Friday night from May 10 to July 26 is Street Car Fun Night where drivers can enter their street cars to race the quarter-mile. Track phone: (301) 865-5102.
* The Susquehanna (Pa.) Speedway, co-owned by Westminster's Mark Miller, will kick off its season on Saturday, March 23. Located in York County, Susquehanna offers modifieds, sportsman, street stocks and roadrunners every Saturday night with super sprint specials on Sunday. Susquehanna will have a live telecast on the FOX network on June 18. Track phone: (717) 938-9170.
* Potomac Speedway in southern Maryland will feature late model, semi-late, pure stock and four-cylinder stock car racing every Friday night beginning March 29. Track phone: (301) 884-4624.
* The Bedford (Pa.) Fairgrounds Speedway opens the same weekend with four divisions of racing every Friday night and some Sunday specials. Track phone: (301) 733-3688.
* The Winchester (Va.) Speedway features the same four classes every Saturday night. Its opening night is Saturday, March 30. Track phone: (703) 667-8143.
* Monrovia Raceway, the go-kart track adjacent to the 75-80 Dragway, will open next weekend. Monrovia will race Sunday afternoons through May, then switch to Saturday nights through September with Sunday afternoon programs in October and November. Track phone: (301) 865-1111.
* The Cumberland raceway is scheduled to open April 27 and will race every Saturday night with late models, semi-lates and pure stocks. Track phone: (301) 463-6794.