Suspect in chase checks out of hospital State police seek man on traffic charges


State police got their man, then lost him, when the driver accused of leading troopers on a 20-mile high-speed chase near Annapolis Monday checked out of the hospital where he was taken after the collision that ended the pursuit.

This is the first time in memory that state police have lost a suspect, spokesman Mike McKelvin said.

Anthony Lee Henson, 20, of the 5200 block of Audrey Ave., Brooklyn Park, is wanted on 10 criminal charges in connection with the chase. Mr. McKelvin said Mr. Henson was not home when troopers tried to arrest him Tuesday, but they hope to find him soon.

Mr. Henson was flown to Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly for treatment of chest injuries after the chase ended in a head-on collision with another car at the intersection of General's Highway and Riva Road. He was listed in fair condition Monday afternoon, but police said he checked himself out of the hospital in the early evening.

"We were led to believe his injuries were somewhat life-threatening, so we thought he was go-ing to be there for a while," Mr. McKelvin said. "Before we could get someone out of the [state police] barrack, he was gone."

Mr. McKelvin said usually suspects who are hospitalized are guarded by a trooper until they are released. Once suspects are released by the hopsital, they are taken into custody for questioning if they are not immediately arrested.

No one was at the hospital guarding Mr. Henson, Mr. McKelvin said. When the man refused medical treatment, the hospital let him go.

Mr. Henson is accused of attempting to elude five state police cruisers on a chase that started on U.S. 50 near Bowie and proceeded north on Route 3 to southbound Interstate 97 to Route 178. The chase, which reached 90 mph, ended when the Toyota Camry driven by Mr. Henson slammed into another car at the Riva Road intersection.

The driver of the other car, Suzanne Scarborough of Edgewater, suffered a broken pelvis. She was taken to Anne Arundel Medical Center, where she was listed in stable condition yesterday.

Police had not filed charges against Mr. Henson Monday night, which is not unusual, Mr. McKelvin said. Troopers sometimes wait to consult with the state's attorney's office so that they can make sure they have all the evidence they need.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad